Discuss Fuse box location for electrical car charger installation point? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cal1990

Hello everyone, i have just started up a door to door business arranging appointments to install electric car chargers at domestic properties. I am primarily targeting new build houses as the fuse boxes need to be located on the exterior of the house or on the inside of the exterior wall so that the unit is easy to install. My question is, there are normally 2 white boxes on the exterior of the house but i dont know which of these are the fuse box. I have no experience with electrics and am asking this purely as a salesperson, so i know this question may sound simple. The 2 boxes on the outside of the buildings one is normally bigger than the other and both look like they need keys to open. Please can someone direct me towards what i need to be looking for and if possible send me some sort of picture of the closed fuse box, as i need to send a picture to the installation company when booking appointments.

Thanks.

Hello everyone, i have just started up a door to door business arranging appointments to install electric car chargers at domestic properties. I am primarily targeting new build houses as the fuse boxes need to be located on the exterior of the house or on the inside of the exterior wall so that the unit is easy to install. My question is, there are normally 2 white boxes on the exterior of the house but i dont know which of these are the fuse box. I have no experience with electrics and am asking this purely as a salesperson, so i know this question may sound simple. The 2 boxes on the outside of the buildings one is normally bigger than the other and both look like they need keys to open. Please can someone direct me towards what i need to be looking for and if possible send me some sort of picture of the closed fuse box, as i need to send a picture to the installation company when booking appointments.

Thanks.
usually, the electric meter box will have a lightning symbol embossed on the lid. it's usually the bigger box but not always. you can get a key and open the box ( with the home owner's consent) to see what's inside.

Spam reported, if the mods agree.....

Not spammy at all, it was a question.. basically just want to know where fuse box is located on new build houses, is it usually on the inside of the exterior wall? as specification for installation of the charging devices says it needs to be inside of exterior wall at gable end of the house

Don't the charging devices just plug into a socket? Can you give us the make and model of the chargers and maybe a spec sheet if you have one?

not spammy at all, it was a question.. Basically just want to know where fuse box is located on new build houses, is it usually on the inside of the exterior wall? As specification for installation of the charging devices says it needs to be inside of exterior wall at gable end of the house

consumer units ( not fuse boxes. They went out with the romans) can be anywhere in the house.

Not spammy at all, it was a question.. basically just want to know where fuse box is located on new build houses, is it usually on the inside of the exterior wall? as specification for installation of the charging devices says it needs to be inside of exterior wall at gable end of the house

Consumer units can be located anywhere in a property, some properties will have more than one.
And on new build houses it may well be a ridiculous place where the architect wanted to hide it away.

You need to know more than just its location though. The earthing arrangements and presence of correct bonding, condition of CU, availability of spare ways.

What do you do if the house doesn't have a gable end?

Why does a salesman need this information?

Surely if the homeowner wanted one installing, a competent spark would visit the premises before installation to advise what is needed for the install?

basically just want to know where fuse box is located on new build houses, is it usually on the inside of the exterior wall? as specification for installation of the charging devices says it needs to be inside of exterior wall at gable end of the house

Then the spec is nonsense.

Because he is arranging appointments to install them according to his original post.
To arrange an appointment to install them you need to know all of the above and more so that the appointment can be made for a long enough time period to complete all necessary work.

Why I thought this was spam-
You can get these things installed free of charge
You're going to try to sell one then walk into someone's home, take a look at the CU location then tell them it can't be done because it's not on a gable end wall.
It should be a suitably qualified electrician advising the householder, not a salesman
The second one on it's own sounds a tad far fetched to me.

What a strange spec 'must be on a gable end'. Must be a result of some Chinese-to-English translation or something? Daz

The boxes you are talking about are a Gas meter and an Electrical meter, the fuse box (more correctly the Consumers unit) could be anywhere within the property, don't be confused the Electrical meter box will not contain the CU

Forget about white boxes on walls why not just ring door bell and say, sorry to waste my time but would you like to pay me lots of money for an outside socket to charge your electrical car that you have not got, it might be a good thing to go to the high street and just follow some one who is riding a mobility scooter when they get home nock on door then you can sell it to them, any whey good luke with it, and we can watch you on watchdog in 6 mouths time

Have to say sorry, what I was going to say was, just go round and do the door to door, you can see if they need one, then send some one that Knows what they are doing to tell them if it can be done and then price it.

Reply to Fuse box location for electrical car charger installation point? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net