Discuss Fuse too big on fridge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to house where w/m and t/dryer on an extension plugged in. scorch marks and signs of melting and hasn't tripped. I blame the cheap extension lead from pound shop or the likes.

I contend that the 13A fuse is not 'wrong' as was the premise of the thread, any more than the 3A fuse in my heating system FCU is 'wrong' because a 2A would work.
There is little between 2A and 3A, as opposed to a draw of 0.32 A and 13A. The difference is massive.

What I am saying use common sense do not go by 'we always do that', regs or instructions (some dodgy for sure). Think safe.

And the issue of 13A plugs being sold with 13A fuses pre fitted is a minor issue now, bearing in mind everything has had to come with a plug and fuse pre-fitted to the appliance for many years.

I agree it was a problem years ago when people had to fit their own plugs when they bought things.

Then the people-who-don't-bother-to-change-the-fuse will use the 3A-equipped plugs on 1kW loads and cook the plugs and sockets.
Mmmm, can't think of many inductive domestic loads of around 1kW. Most - heaters, hair drier, tumble drier, kettle, etc., are more like 2kW, and would pop a 3A fairly quickly.

Different issue completely. That's a bad connection. I've also seen damage at the connections of 13A sockets due to loose connections.

Are you saying washers and dryers shouldn't be connected via 13A plugs and sockets ???
If they are heavy use...no. My dryer is on an FCU. The connection behind the dryer is on Wagos, which gives a better contact than screwed terminals. Screwed can also work loose over time. The Wagos also give a quick disconnect in case of appliance replacement. The appliance is on its own radial with its own RCBO.

If they are heavy use...no. My dryer is on an FCU. The connection behind the dryer is on Wagos, which gives a better contact than screwed terminals. Screwed can also work loose over time. The Wagos also give a quick disconnect in case of appliance replacement. The appliance is on its own radial with its own RCBO.

There is no issue with a dryer being plugged into a 13A socket.

Yes, if there is a loose connection, or a cheap brand socket is used then there could be problems. But you can say that about anything. There could be a loose connection at the screw terminals of the RCBO.

There is no issue with a dryer being plugged into a 13A socket.

Yes, if there is a loose connection, or a cheap brand socket is used then there could be problems. But you can say that about anything. There could be a loose connection at the screw terminals of the RCBO.
People I know with a large family. The dryer was hardly ever off. I looked at the plug and socket seeing brown marks. I fitted an FCU then to a box with Wagos inside with dryer cable running into the box - for easy disconnect, as I could see frequent appliance changes. That was five years ago. No brown marks to be seen.

Someone who uses a dryer once or twice a week for 45 mins a time, then it will probably be fine. Heavy use? A 13A plug? Think again.

Wago are introducing these types of connector boxes these days. Not sure how small they make them. Ideal for behind fitted appliances.

1622123301604.png

The connection behind the dryer is on Wagos, which gives a better contact than screwed terminals.

I might explore this quite wide-ranging assertion in another thread when I have more time.

13A FCUs aren't much better than a plug these days. This example I replaced this week with a 20A DP switch after a maintenance company had replaced it three times this year with a FCU, supplies a ceiling heater and this wasn't poor connections. It is welded in the on position.
20210525_103111.jpg

13A FCUs aren't much better than a plug these days. This example I replaced this week with a 20A DP switch after a maintenance company had replaced it three times this year with a FCU, supplies a ceiling heater and this wasn't looView attachment 86165se connections.

Exactly. The same bad connection could just as likely be at an FCU as the plug.

But youl find if these items say they are good for 13A they should be.. cheap sh it with no real testing I'd guess

13A FCUs aren't much better than a plug these days. This example I replaced this week with a 20A DP switch after a maintenance company had replaced it three times this year with a FCU, supplies a ceiling heater and this wasn't poor connections. It is welded in the on position. View attachment 86165
How about a DP mcb in a box as an isolator.

1622125156199.png

1622125027959.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DPG
13A FCUs aren't much better than a plug these days. This example I replaced this week with a 20A DP switch after a maintenance company had replaced it three times this year with a FCU, supplies a ceiling heater and this wasn't poor connections. It is welded in the on position. View attachment 86165
I came across an oven and induction hob with flash looking chrome isolators on the worktop. The tenant was using the isolators as the on-off switchs, sometimes switching when large currents are being drawn. The contacts were burning out. It was a flat with luckily both appliances having their own mcb's at the CU. I removed the isolators, connecting the cables using Wagos then fitted chrome blanking plates over. Danger gone.

I came across an oven and induction hob with flash looking chrome isolators on the worktop. The tenant was using the isolators as the on-off switchs, sometimes switching when large currents are being drawn. The contacts were burning out. It was a flat with luckily both appliances having their own mcb's at the CU. I removed the isolators, connecting the cables using Wagos then fitted chrome blanking plates over. Danger gone.

Am I missing something here? You removed the local isolation for a cooking appliance? So if something happens and they need to isolate in an emergency, they have to go back to the consumer unit and switch the MCB off. And find the right MCB and hopefully not knock the lights off by mistake.

I'd have been educating the customer on using it as an isolator, not an operational switch.

Am I missing something here? You removed the local isolation for a cooking appliance? So if something happens and they need to isolate in an emergency, they have to go back to the consumer unit and switch the MCB off. And find the right MCB and hopefully not knock the lights off by mistake.

I'd have been educating the customer on using it as an isolator, not an operational switch.
The CU was well and clearly labelled. Customer was told if a problem go to the CU which was in the hall at face level. All easy to get to. But danger gone.

I have seen local isolators in adjacent cupboards, which the customer never knew were there as the corn flakes blocked the view. In rented properties with constant new tenants, safety is paramount. Many forget what you tell them the next day. Reduce switches and any weak points. Keep all well labelled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fuse too big on fridge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net