Discuss Fused Spur for two new sockets for utility room, taken from ring main. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I have one socket in my utility room, this socket is part of the down stairs ring main. I have taken a fused spur from this socket and ran two sockets of it, room is smaller than 12m squared, so 3 sockets is recommended for this size room, is that correct? I have used 2.5mm cable to run the two extra sockets. I am going too run a fridge of one of the new sockets, and use the other occasionally for a tumble dryer. The original socket which is in the ring main will run a washing machine, is this ok. I have City and guilds c2330, and could do with your advice on this matter.
Cheers.

Not ideal but if its protected by 13a fuse at spur its protected.. So zs test and just dont hope for overload.. But if that happens im sure you wont use everything at once

problem is a 13A fuse might not suffice the load your describing..

your best to extend the ring properly instead of spurring off

and you say you have CG2330 ??

what level are you at ? :mad:

What you are proposing is ok apart from load !! Its not something I would do, I would extend the ring. The two sockets would only be rated at 13A so in this case its a no sir

Its going to be on 32a breaker 8a on dryer washing machine 8 and fridge 4a max.. I think will be ok but im guessing. With no figures and

Hello, Thanks for all the advice. I will extend the ring so that the two sockets are incorporated into it, best be on the safe side. Busy at the moment doing level 3 2330. Will get some to inspect and test it though.
Cheers again for the good advice lads, as always. SAFTY FIRST, want to sleep at night.

You were going to run one 2.5mm from the ring socket,so it just as well be 2x2.5mm and crimp the cables at that socket to extend the ring
Do a continuity test on that ring before proceeding with the work

Remember installing electrics goes hand in hand with using the testers to verify that what you have installed is safe
None of us are fortune tellers,testing installs is essential

prefer to see RFC extended. use wagos in existing back box. if necessary, fit a deeper box.

wagos for me on solid conductors. seen too many crimps fail.

Reply to Fused Spur for two new sockets for utility room, taken from ring main. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net