Discuss Fuses burning out! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SOC

Hi there, I work as an Oven cleaner and I have a heated tank (which heats up to 80 degrees F) installed in my van. I'm having problems with the fuses for the tank burning out after 2-3 weeks.

To heat the tank I plug a 13amp extension lead (unravelled) into the mains. Then an RCD socket is plugged into the extension socket, and finally the tank is plugged into the RCD. Unless the 13amp fuses on the extension lead, RCD plug and tank plug are changed every 2 weeks then they burn out and I have to rewire the plugs!

When the tank is switched on I normally leave it on for 1-2 hours to heat the tank sufficiently.

What can I do to prevent these fuses from burning out? Use a transformer?

Your help is MUCH appreciated

Thanks, Jack-SOC

What is the wattage of the heating element in the unit?

Hi there, I work as an Oven cleaner and I have a heated tank (which heats up to 80 degrees F) installed in my van. I'm having problems with the fuses for the tank burning out after 2-3 weeks.

To heat the tank I plug a 13amp extension lead (unravelled) into the mains. Then an RCD socket is plugged into the extension socket, and finally the tank is plugged into the RCD. Unless the 13amp fuses on the extension lead, RCD plug and tank plug are changed every 2 weeks then they burn out and I have to rewire the plugs!

When the tank is switched on I normally leave it on for 1-2 hours to heat the tank sufficiently.

What can I do to prevent these fuses from burning out? Use a transformer?

Your help is MUCH appreciated

Thanks, Jack-SOC

Think we all might need a little more to go on. It sounds like too much load for the fuses, RCD etc

Hi guys, here's the description on the heating element.

11" Titanium Immersion Heater
Combined Thermostat & Safety cut-out fitted
2.8kw @230v - 3kw @240v

13Amp fuses should withstand the normal load of that element. As 2.8KW @230v is 12.17amps. Unless you have a pretty severe under voltage due to poor supply or pretty high voltage drop over the length of extension lead which may increase the current drawn. The most likely cause is an intermittant progressive short circuit fault within the element which only occurs after a certain period of time which might mean the element needs changing. Best way to ascertain these two possible reasons is to do voltage test at the end of the extension lead to ensure voltage is in or around 230V and not lower and to do an insulation resistance test across the element terminals L-N, L-E, an N-E.

Personally, I would have a dedicated RCD/RCBO protected 16a circuit installed and use commandos

200-250V MK Commando Interlocked Angled Socket 2P+E (IP44) - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

200-250V MK Commando Interlocked Straight Plug 2P+E (IP44) - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

prob needs a 16amp supply alright

element is prob ok if it's rcd'd-although you could IR test it and put the clamp/ohmeter on it

Last edited by a moderator:
you won,t solve it.same reason we don,t put immersion,s on fused spur.s they tire the fuse,s out working at full tilt all the time.

Also when you plug it in put the RCD in the supply socket then the extention lead then the heater because this protects the whole setup I have seen it many times when an individual runs the ext lead then plugs the RCD in then the appliance so be safe and protect the whole lot

You say you have to rewire the plug because the fuses burn out, does this mean that there is a physical sign of overheating and you have to replace the plug, if so my friend I would definetley check your connections at the plug they may well be loose.

Reply to Fuses burning out! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net