Discuss Fusing Down Extract Fan To 3A in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

Most manufacturers state that their extract fans need to be fused down to 3A.

I don't know many sparks that actually do this, however I did on my last one.

I'm looking at doing this again but a different method.

Has anyone ever fitted an in - line fuse holder with a 3A fuse in the box with the fan isolator? Saves fitting a FCU.

The other method I'm toying with is a grid plate with fan isolator and 2 fuse holders (perm and switch).

Opinions please.

Thanks

There was a case where a fan caught fire due to poor design by the manufacturers and caused an house fire, the manufacturers got away with it because the Electrician hadn't fitted a 3amp fuse as stated in the bumf ... the Electrician was prosecuted but I don't know the outcome, so yes do fit one, I would make it a serviceble part for the customer so external in case the user needs to replace it, otherwise the manufacturers would fit it internally themselves.

or open the bloody window. nesh lot we have in this country.

So much up roar about all this due to one incident made public.

Surely the fault would cause the 6a MCB to trip if it was that severe.

One for the permanent and one for the switch

I got that bit, what I don't get is how that could possibly be acceptable.
You then have a cable protected by two seperate, non linked ocpds, and still have the equipment potentially able to draw 6A.
If you are fusing down for the fan then it needs to be one fuse protecting the fan, not two.

That does make it a bit strange, far better IMO to route the initial supply to the bath/shower room lighting through a 3 amp fused unswitched FCU - but Lee has the best idea, avoid such fans in the first place.

Yes but surely the idea is that you can have the fan isolated in ALL poles for cleaning by 'non electrical' people but still have the local lighting operational if required.

Mcb could be isolated?

Which defeats the object of the isolator in the first place.

The whole point of fitting an isolator for a specific piece of equipment is to allow that piece of equipment to be isolated. This is a basic principal of electrical installations that runs through from the little domestic fan right up to the biggest multi-million pound machine.

Reply to Fusing Down Extract Fan To 3A in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net