Discuss Generation Usage? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just out of interest I was wondering at what level of generation the power actually starts being used in the house? I have solaredge on 11 LG panels (5 south, 6 west). Last night, just before sundown my solaredge dashboard was showing 11 (eleven) watts being generated. Assuming that what is being reported is accurate, would those 11 watts be running my 10 watt UV pond light (assuming there is NOTHING else anywhere in the house taking power) or is there a minimum level of generation which must be achieved which 'throws' a switch to open a gateway into the house wiring?

This is not intended as a technical question, merely interest, as I said at the start.

So long as the meters and the PV system are correctly wired, then everything you generate will be used first by the house and when your generation exceeds your consumption the difference will be exported. If your consumption exceeds your generation, the balance will be imported.

In this particular instance I would not rely on that level of accuracy, you should take at least +-20watts :) i.e if it says 11 watts it could be anywhere between 0 and 30 watts. I believe also the solar-edge figures are likely to be DC side so you will also have other (small) losses.

However in principle your pond lights would indeed just be running off the solar. No magic 'switch', consider it like water pressure, you'll push it out into the grid.

Thanks for that. I don't actually have any pond lights, just couldn't think of anything else that would run off that level of power! On reflection, should have used my bathroom extractor fan, that really does run at 11 watts.

Last edited:

Reply to Generation Usage? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net