Discuss Hair dryers across 400 volts in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is there a requlation relating to distances between equipment,? im testing a job where there are 4 hair dryers in a changing area all situated along a wall at a distance of about 1 metre from one to the next, all on individual circuits spread across three phases. So im thinking 400 volts between appliances in fault conditions, also all on mcbs rather than rcbos, although within steel conduit in plastered wall.

Any thoughts?

In the pre-amendment BS7671 there is 514.10.1. which indicates no minimum distance, but that a warning notice is required.
In the amended version, the second and third paragraphs have been deleted, so there is no longer a requirement even for a warning notice..

Last edited by a moderator:
These people do not live in the real world that draw some of these regs up.

I’ll fully agree with you there.

In this instance a hairdresser is liable to have wet hands, 415V within one metre is madness.

But if the regs say it’s OK, where does common sense come in to it?

if there's rcbos
one or both will trip if you came into contact with 400volt

would have been best practice to have them on the same phase i reckon

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hair dryers across 400 volts in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Before I pay an electrician to come check my work, I thought it worth a post here. I don't want to pay the cost of a small car for a whole-house...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hi, we need some advice on our scenario with regards to our rewire plan. I will get this out of the way first... We are planning to put the house...
Replies
Views
Another long one from me ... I hope that it covers all the bases and is a more thorough approach to the subject. It is my first design work so...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all - can someone confirm my thoughts please Here is the situation: 6 floor hotel 45 bedrooms over 4 floors bottom 2 floors are reception...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock