Discuss Help required on behalf of Michelle, Problems with work done by a contractor. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Name and shame, better the get him known as a cowboy/illegal installer than let him carry on and potentially kill someone.

And you CANNOT get in trouble for it.

The first thing you will be asked when complaining to any organization is....
"Have you contacted the tradesman with your concerns and given him opportunity to put matters right ?"

Have you ?
I understand you want closure on youre kitchen job but putting things into perspective , unscrewed sockets isnt a life or death issue , plus you have recieved a certificate of some sorts which is a start. Cooker switch should be within 2 mtrs of cooker but maybe there was a reason it wasnt moved that hasnt been explained as yet.
You really need to attempt sort things out with this guy first.

but looking at the certificate you do have it doesn't look very professional

What the hell has the brand / format of the certificate got to do with anything ?
The only thing important is the information on it.
I use the standard IET certs printed off the computer and then hand filled in because buying booklets all the time costs a fortune , clearly this make me a cowboy.
Lost count number of the times i've seen fancy NIC certs that are pure garbage.

What the hell has the brand / format of the certificate got to do with anything ?
The only thing important is the information on it.
I use the standard IET certs printed off the computer and then hand filled in because buying booklets all the time costs a fortune , clearly this make me a cowboy.
Lost count number of the times i've seen fancy NIC certs that are pure garbage.

I think biff55 has rightly voiced a little caution into this thread
I have just read this thread and am also a little concerned about the instant justice

He may very well be guilty of all that he is being charged.on the other hand there may be concerns.eg. the sockets eased off the wall,that have justifiable reason for doing so

The certificate has been condemned because it is not a pretty colour or has no scam logo added
If authentic and proper certificates are the order of the day,you could all start by ditching those remodelled certificates constructed and tarted up by the schemes and stick to the IEE genuine article,cheaper but more appropriate

Full facts,then judgement
Even if all that he is accused of is proven,there will be no restoritive justice,the domestic sector is in such a mess that none want the responsibility of policing such a cobbled together piece of building regulation garbage and others like Labc and Trading standards will only act when pushed along by eager victims

The lady has already confirmed this guy is not part-p.

And Biff if you are going to quote one line out of a whole post then get the context right, - I opened that post with a line of caution suggesting perhaps that the part-p cert had not been recieved yet.

And I hate to sound like regulation reg, but loose sockets hanging off wall is basic barriers and enclosers - eg: LIFE & DEATH.

Love or hate part-p which yes I hate, if I have to do it then so does everyone else.

Jesus I wonder if you would have all fallen over yourselves so much to help a male?

Ignorance is never an excuse, google is there for everybody to use so is the telephone. We live in a world of con artists, why take anyone at their word? Five minutes on line and there are various website detailing how to find reliable, qualified trades people.

Its not that I'm unsympathetic but when they're is so much info out there that is easily accessable, why take a chance? All you can do now is what should have been done first, find someone who is qualified and pay the going rate, lesson learned.

Fair comment Stu but not being part p doesnt mean his certs arent done correctly.

I completely agree, and yes for small jobs I use IET hand filled certs myself (for larger ones I have my company branded ones) so I guess that line I wrote was a little unjustified.

At the end of the day I blame part-p for this whole mess, it has just confused everyone customers and tradesmen alike.

Very good point made by drew ^^^.

But the tradesman was hired after a recommendation by someone else , so i still think the opportunity should be given to the guy to deal with the customers concerns.
A picture of a cert under a socket proves absolutely nothing in my mind.

i think biff55 has added a little perspective here. give the guy a chance to rectify any faults first, and then decide on the course of action as regards notification. he may not be a scam member, but might be able to get an EICR done which in some cases will comply with part p requirements.

The first thing you will be asked when complaining to any organization is....
"Have you contacted the tradesman with your concerns and given him opportunity to put matters right ?"

Have you ?
I understand you want closure on youre kitchen job but putting things into perspective , unscrewed sockets isnt a life or death issue , plus you have recieved a certificate of some sorts which is a start. Cooker switch should be within 2 mtrs of cooker but maybe there was a reason it wasnt moved that hasnt been explained as yet.
You really need to attempt sort things out with this guy first.

I haven't sought to explain the whole process as I was concerned with the electrical installation for the purpose of this forum. The guy was recommended by my previous next door neighbour who had her kitchen fitted by the same chap.

He set the base units 30mm too high; he set the wall units 56mm lower than the tall housing units; the plastering work looked like it resembled a plan view of the Malvern Hills and the window cills were so badly damaged that a repair was necessary. He had to remove the base and wall units and refit them according to the plan which I had provided in the first instance from the company.

Therefore I hope that my reluctance to go back to the chap to put the electrics right will be excused as I have grave concerns over his competence to do anything.

He hasnt included the fact that he has cobbled the cooker switch onto the cert; neither has he put on it the fact that he has installed an electrically operated under-plinth heater working off the radiator circuit. Please forgive me for being concerned about the mix of water and electric with someone whose competence in other areas does not inspire me!

Jesus I wonder if you would have all fallen over yourselves so much to help a male?

Ignorance is never an excuse, google is there for everybody to use so is the telephone. We live in a world of con artists, why take anyone at their word? Five minutes on line and there are various website detailing how to find reliable, qualified trades people.

Its not that I'm unsympathetic but when they're is so much info out there that is easily accessable, why take a chance? All you can do now is what should have been done first, find someone who is qualified and pay the going rate, lesson learned.

I'd like to think that the good and decent folk on here are helping me because I have a problem and not because I am female.

When I sought to employ the services of a fitter, I asked for recommendations and went with those recommendations. Forgive me if I didn't study the Building Control Regulations and 17th Edition before making my selection.

Recommendation is the usual process and clearly I have made an error of judgement.

If two thousand pounds is below the going rate, then perhaps it's best if I apply to City and Guilds to obtain my Electrical Installation qualification so that I can earn the 'going rate' - it certainly seemed an appropriate figure to me.

sorry i didnt reply to you post this morning had to get to work , having skimpped through the posts , all i can say is i agree with most of them speak to trading standards about the work , Part P is a building regulation , even building control may be an idea as its there department they should follow up your complaint , the trade bodies ask to shop un regestered people , and dont get your self worked up im sure a spark on here from your area would be happy to inspect the work , thats what the forums all about , and drew i think you will find that any gender would be helped equally in this sort of case , thats why the forum is here and still here hope things work out michelle and keep us up dated

Michelle, I am pretty sure you will have to ask him to come back and rectify any faults before trading standards etc can or will interviene, I believe that is standard practice to do so.

I haven't sought to explain the whole process as I was concerned with the electrical installation for the purpose of this forum. The guy was recommended by my previous next door neighbour who had her kitchen fitted by the same chap.

He set the base units 30mm too high; he set the wall units 56mm lower than the tall housing units; the plastering work looked like it resembled a plan view of the Malvern Hills and the window cills were so badly damaged that a repair was necessary. He had to remove the base and wall units and refit them according to the plan which I had provided in the first instance from the company.

Therefore I hope that my reluctance to go back to the chap to put the electrics right will be excused as I have grave concerns over his competence to do anything.

He hasnt included the fact that he has cobbled the cooker switch onto the cert; neither has he put on it the fact that he has installed an electrically operated under-plinth heater working off the radiator circuit. Please forgive me for being concerned about the mix of water and electric with someone whose competence in other areas does not inspire me!

Thanks for returning to the post Michelle.
A couple of things first.....
Although i understand youre reluctance and lack of faith in this tradesman , you WILL have to contact him again before anyone else will get involved , thats just how things work.
Secondly , wonky cupboards and rough plastering are neither here nor there to us , we deal in wiring only and can only advise on such.
In the mean time take photos of the work , dont make any alterations and maybe get another electrician in for a second opinion , hope this helps.

I'd like to think that the good and decent folk on here are helping me because I have a problem and not because I am female.

When I sought to employ the services of a fitter, I asked for recommendations and went with those recommendations. Forgive me if I didn't study the Building Control Regulations and 17th Edition before making my selection.

Recommendation is the usual process and clearly I have made an error of judgement.

If two thousand pounds is below the going rate, then perhaps it's best if I apply to City and Guilds to obtain my Electrical Installation qualification so that I can earn the 'going rate' - it certainly seemed an appropriate figure to me.

Michelle

I'm making no comment on the rights or wrongs of your kitchen fitter, but I'd just like to say I'm very impressed with your style.

I'm currently in a relationship with a lass who "tells it like it is" after 40 something years of being with one who is like a wet lettuce.

YOU remind me very much of my present partner. Well done & DO NOT CHANGE !!

Michelle

I'm making no comment on the rights or wrongs of your kitchen fitter, but I'd just like to say I'm very impressed with your style.

I'm currently in a relationship with a lass who "tells it like it is" after 40 something years of being with one who is like a wet lettuce.

YOU remind me very much of my present partner. Well done & DO NOT CHANGE !!

:eek:) thank you! Wishing you well with your new love Geordie Spark....

Reply to Help required on behalf of Michelle, Problems with work done by a contractor. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net