Discuss Help with replacement storage heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I get asked quite a lot about replacing old storage heaters with something more economical and I don't know what to recommend.
Some people ask for the economy 7 tarrif to be changed over to a permanent supply and to fit convector heaters.
I cannot see how this can be more economical than the storage heaters.
So basically,what do you guys recommend when you get asked this question? Do you have certain makes of heaters that you always go to? Any advise would be most appreciated.

Oil filled would probably be better than convection, but still don't provide the economy of storage.

As for doing away with Economy 7? Much would depend on rates - over here, with current high prices, day rate on E7 is little different to 24 rate on standard supply, so it would be daft to dispense it when some loads could still avail of the cheaper rate.

I recently fitted out a house with ATC oil filled rads, to replace storage (they wouldn't listen to any advice to the contrary) and all have timer, open window sensors etc, so some benefit can still be gained from night rate, while supplied from one board.

Ultimately I'd opt for oil or gas, but if electric was the only option I wouldn't have anything other than storage heaters.

Really the only major gain is for a heat-pump.

Money spent changing radiators might help in small ways if they use timers wisely and it cuts out when doors & windows are open, but realistically bigger gains can be had with the existing heaters by similar manual use and putting the money towards some insulation where practical (door seals, etc).

I had been using Dimplex duoheat they seemed a good alternative but on looking at their site it seems they have been discontinued.
They needed two supplies but were a good heater and didn't look to awful either!

Not sure if E7 is still available but one of my customers managed to get an E10 tariff, this gave them 4 low rate periods over a day and night.
Sy

Reply to Help with replacement storage heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net