Discuss How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisx3

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to wire an emergency stop button onto a 1 gang extension wire.

I have submitted some pictures of the button and the stripped extension wire.

Could someone please give me some guidance on wiring this before I burn my house down? ? ?

How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? 20200519_182936 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? 20200519_183005 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200519_183005.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 46
  • How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? 20200519_183037 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200519_183037.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 53
What is it for? I'm trying to think why you want such instead of some basic switching arrangement....and why in such a cable if you can unplug it?

As above, and what is the rating of the switch contacts? Not all are suitable for controlling the load directly. Be aware that this is not a normal configuration and if it is being used for safety purposes, might not be satisfactory.

Yes, such an emergency stop switch in the wrong situation could well create an emergency.

Hi, Thanks for your quick replies. I am using it to be able to easily cut the contact to a heater which already almost burnt my carpet last week and I was fumbling to unplug it while I could smell it getting worse. I guess I could just unplug it but I wanted something to quickly cut the contact, if needed, as the plug is behind a cupboard and it's not easy to get to a mains switch. Also, your point about the regular switch setup was the original idea but I was gonna paint it red to make it obvious and so decided to go for this instead.

I bought it from here: 1pcs Emergency Stop Button / Stop Switch Twist To Release 1 NO+NC Contact | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-Emergency-Stop-Button-Stop-Switch-Twist-To-Release-1-NO-NC-Contact/143219927213?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They don't give any information with it. I am attaching pictures of the side of the switch with more info.

Thanks again for all your help and hope I can get this to work safely, as it is meant to be a safety feature.

Attachments

• How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 19.01.31 - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 19.01.31.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 52
  • How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 19.01.32 (1) - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 19.01.32 (1).jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 49
It's only rated at 3amps... to be incorporated in a control circuit. DO NOT USE.

Ok, thanks for the advice, Off to Ebay returns it goes. Thanks for your help. Can you recommend me any other setup for this situation?

Ok, thanks for the advice, Off to Ebay returns it goes. Thanks for your help. Can you recommend me any other setup for this situation?
From your point of view, a small extension lead incorporating a switched socket with indicator is the cheapest way, safety wise...depending on the heater size.

20A double pole switch will do, only use it when you have to though use the switches on the heater where possible.

it sounds like the heater may not be installed as per the instructions, perhaps a different type of heater or a different location might be a better safety improvement as any kind of emergency stop type arrangement requires someone to be there and press it.

Get a heater that isn't likely to set fire to the carpet or sit you existing heater on a non combustible surface because you can't watch the heater all the time with your hand over the stop switch. Remove the risk.

Get a heater that isn't likely to set fire to the carpet or sit you existing heater on a non combustible surface because you can't watch the heater all the time with your hand over the stop switch. Remove the risk.
Aye, reading again, fully, it seems a real problem to be messing with.
Could get a direct line to the fire station, maybe. ;)

Can you show a pic of the heater.

If the heater is the problem you should be either getting it repaired or replaced.

Reactions: DPG
I’ve got exactly the same Emergency Stop that I’m adding to my Myford ML7 lathe.
Though I’ve had it 45 years, it was left to me from my grandad, though I realised it was using 7 core cable, as per vehicle trailer wiring. Due to the kick of the motor when starting in reverse or forward, the cable wore through and shorted out, nearly 💩 myself as it was right in front of me.
I’m putting new 3 core from a 13A plug to the existing Dewhurst Forward | Stop | Reverse switch, which I’ve just cleaned and rebuilt, but with the Emergency Stop between.
However, I hadn’t realised the ES was 3A, so if anyone can suggest what would be best, I’d appreciate the information 🙏.
I’m not an electrician so have asked locally, but had no response

Attachments

• How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? IMG_6417 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6417.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? IMG_6419 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6419.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 8
  • How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? IMG_1688 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 8
The estop should be used with a relay contractor.
You would be better looking for a direct online start stop control box and this may come with estop or you will be able to add it in circuit to work with the internal control circuit

The estop should be used with a relay contractor.
You would be better looking for a direct online start stop control box and this may come with estop or you will be able to add it in circuit to work with the internal control circuit
I apreciate your response, but as I say, I’m not an electrician so what you’re telling me is way beyond me.
I’m trying to get a qualified electrician but I’ve had bo reply

This claims to be suitable for a load of up to 15A with no additional components.

This claims to be suitable for a load of up to 15A with no additional components.
That should be ok I would have thought.

I would prefer a direct online starter with overload protections but it doesn't have to have one just gives extra protection for overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I wire an emergengy stop button to an extension cord? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock