Discuss How long does it take to change 12 lamps in Low Bay fittings with a scissor lift? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark_Burgess

So far........3 days and counting.

Day 1, the 9am scissor lift turns up at 3pm, take down a lamp, go to Edmundsons, take back 12 to fit but have to go home after dropping them off as the warehouse has had to shut due to every going out on jobs!!

Day 2, turn up to replace lamps but can only do 5 that I could get access to due to stock in warehouse, turn on that row of lights and nothing....Check fittings and power there. Fit old lamps and all working.
11am back to wholsaler for more lamps and one of the old ones (250W Metal Halide).
None in stock, have to order form Venture to as no other lamp will work apparently, I am told they are going on an overnight courier.

Day 3 (today), get up late and go to wholesalers at 10:30 on the way to the job just incase they have arrived, nope! So go to job and replace 2 whole fittings that were damaged and kill a bit of time.
12:00pm, pop to wholesaler, still not arrived but told they should do soon.
Go and look at another job to price up.
Back to wholesaler at 2:15pm sat in van waiting as was told they will 100% call me when in.
2:30 a face appears at the door window, no ruddy lights Venture did not send them!!!!!

I was told they will be in by 10am tomorrow morning, we shall see!!!

So, 3 days to replace 12 lamps and still not done, I hate my time being wasted and now have to go there tomorrow as the lift gets collected monday morning. :cuss:

Rant Over.

I feel your pain - but in a way it's also reassuring to know that other people get bad weeks too!!

To be fair I was none of the wholesalers fault I stayed there and witnessed the call to order the lamps, the fault is Venture who make the fitting, they have made the light fitting which means only their lamps work and Sylvania and Phillips dont.

My customer hired the lift as has blagged it for the charge off one day only, jammy sods.

I have had a good run of faultless work recently and the simplest of jobs has caused the most aggro!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's so special about their lamp that makes it unique to their fitting?
And what's so special about their fitting that anyone would buy it if it has a proprietary fitting doesn't accept an off the shelf lamp?

And what's so special about their fitting that anyone would buy it if it has a proprietary fitting doesn't accept an off the shelf lamp?

Approx age of these fittings are about 20 years, I am guessing is was a cheap job lot for the 10 industrial units around this little bit.

Oh, I type this whilst sat outside the wholesaler waiting for UPS to turn up with them, the supplier to Edmunsons said they would get them delivered on a 10am delivery, now it turns out they have been put on a saturday am delivery!!

Edmunsons are going mental as its is making them look bad also, I might send an invoice to the lamp supplier for yesterday and todays time.

These lamps are ÂŁ30 + Vat, the whole fitting including the lamp is only ÂŁ58 + Vat, but only have 5 in stock.

I might ask for a bucket and sponge, could waSh the van whilst waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their customer service is utter rubbish, the lamps have not turned up, Edmundsons now closed.

Has anyone successfully managed to claim back loss of earnings from a supplier?

I doubt you'll get the supplier to pay your wasted time, most suppliers would cover themselves with their terms and conditions which nobody ever reads.

I realize it's a bit late now but I would kick it back to the customer. Tell them to source their own lamps after explaining the issues and offer to install them at labour charge only.

Reply to How long does it take to change 12 lamps in Low Bay fittings with a scissor lift? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net