Discuss how many cables in one protective device is mechanically unsound???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest112

Hi guys just wondering about the issue mentioned in title. I work for a firm who have a testing side and because of my 2391 i get pulled off on testing quite often.

my company seem to think that if there are 3 or more cables in one breaker that this is classed as a code 2 which can fail the report, but in the regs appendix 15 it allows you to have an unfused radial from a breaker with a ring main in it. so theres three conductors and thats in the regs.(just an example)

Obviously i dont like/agree with over 3 cables in one breaker but do any of you know the limit and do you think that the code 2 is fair? i think that its my firm tbh they like to fail reports to get the remedial work .

thanks

edit: I dont like more than two in one device myself just interested in any regulations or pesonal opinions thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'd be hard pushed getting more than four 2.5mm² conductors in an MCB, might be able to get six with 1.5mm² conductors.
I wouldn't apply any code, and I'd expect anyone applying a code to any situation to be able to quote the relevant Regulation that is not being complied with.

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly spinlondon

I cant find the reg for this its why im asking my company pretty much make me to put it down as a code two and ive confronted my boss about the 3 conductors (2.5mm) being acceptable in the regs any ideas??

Sounds like you have a bit of a dilemma.
If they are unwilling to accept that such a situation does not warrent any code, as it is not in breach of any Regulations.
You then have to consider whether you are willing to sign and issue fraudulent reports.
Perhaps you could explain to your boss, that you are not happy to issue fraudulent reports, and insist that your boss signs them instead.
I don't know if your company is registered with any body such as the NICEIC, but it may be an idea to contact them and ask for there views on the coding?

ok mate well the system in place is they expect us to work from reccomended codes on sheets given to us, but on the reports then we have two columbs with recommended code and electricians code so my code is what counts and tbh i mostly put 3 cables as a 3 which in my firm doesnt have to be fixed to get the report back as satisfactory.

yes registered with NICEIC mate although we use jib and ecs as recognition for cscs etc i will be leaving soon as they are a shower of **** and are one of the biggest electrical contracting firms in britain.... con men mate

you know if its mechanically sound or not by manually checking it yourself.

whats the difference between 4 conductors and 2 conductors that are bent over at the end?

no difference i always check if theyre mechanically sound by hand like and i always bend conductors over at connections where necessary

again im not saying that i like the situation but wondering what your opinions are

ps if anyy welsh boys saw a man dressed as a banana in cardiff tonightnthat was me very frunk and very hard to type trying mu best thgh happy days happy halloween thinkid appreciate the extra hour if i wasnt stuck doinh nights like this week tamping

Reply to how many cables in one protective device is mechanically unsound???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net