Discuss How to Calculate Size of Cut to Set Cable Tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I worked with cable tray about 40 years ago and remember I created a couple of simple formulae to work out how much triangular section of the cable tray to cut out to do various sets. I have tried to explain them below. The first one is when you know the angle you want to create and the second is when you want to make a parallel off-set.

1. How to calculate the size of the cut-out section (D) for a pre-determined angle set

Eg. You have used your protractor and worked out you need to make a 22° angle in a 600mm cable tray. By applying the following formula you can quickly find the size of the cut-out section that you need to cut out of the side of the cable tray, or gutter-type section to make that angle.

(A) = cable tray width (600mm) and B = Size of angle (22°)

First, you have to find (C) which is found by dividing 90° by (B) 22° = 4.09 (C).

You can then calculate the size of the cut-out section by dividing the cable tray width (A) 600mm by 4.09 (C).

So the size of the section you need to cut out of a 600mm cable tray to make a 22° set = 600 ÷ 4.09 = 146.7mm

How to make a parallel off-set in a cable tray

The other common calculation you need is when you have to work out the amount of set required to make a parallel off-set eg when you have to set a cable tray or gutter around a pillar or set to an off-set wall.

In this case, say you have to create a 350mm off-set in a 600mm cable tray to go around a pillar. In order not to create too sharp a set you want the set to be over a distance of 1500mm (ie. in a straight line, not on the angle).

To calculate the size of the cut-out in the cable tray in this situation you divide the distance between sets by the width of the cable tray ie. 1500 Ă· 600 = 2.5, then divide the amount of off-set by 2.5, ie. 350mm Ă· 2.5 = 140mm. To get the most accurate results, while the set will be close, it is always best to do the first set then calculate where to do your parallel set cut by positioning the tray.

Or

You get your chalks out and draw a 1:1 scale diagram on the freshly laid concrete floor....

Seriously though. Thanks for this. Offsets in tray, trunking etc was all part of learning the trade back in the past.

I just measure and slice as i go like a machine... I always wanted to know exact messurements but just go with the flow with your tapemeasure bro

All rhythmic lad this fine Monday, but knowing where your tray has to Sit and tapemeasure. As for angles its all slicing the edges, removing side wall, and sometimes just the top trim of side wall..

Reply to How to Calculate Size of Cut to Set Cable Tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net