Discuss How to disconnect a Lucas Rists 1988 connector? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking for advice. I've spent the last three months diagnosing an electrical issue on an SZ series 1988 Rolls Royce Silver Spur and have located the suspect wire on the starter circuit. I've got two questions:

1. Can anyone advise me on how to get a wire disconnected from an old Rists connector (looks like a 3mm female spade - see photo). There only seems to be one side I can get any kind of spiked tool into, but there isn't any prong in there from what I can tell. Is there some other wisdom I'm missing here that anyone can suggest?

Rists Connector.jpg

2. I need to replace the wire which is on the starter circuit between the gearchange actuator and the starter relay. It looks like a 14 strand 0.5mm wire (including the insulation). How can I figure out what gauge I need to replace it with? The only fuses on the same circuit are 20 amp and 10 amp.

Am so close to solving this after endless tests, but am getting stumped on this last hurdle. Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

if it's cable damage, can you cut it leaving some in the connector, and joint in some new cable to replace the damaged section?

There are some videos out there that I watched a while back, but can't immediate;y find at the moment.
However, plenty kits designed for dismantling connectors are available, and maybe that might help:

Old thread here:

The only ones I have dismantled have had rather well-disguised "sliding parts" that are simple...when you know how!

I'd say those connectors probably look like this removed
Rist connector.PNG

And would need a blade tool to remove similar to below, not a spike or screwdriver, as the end needs to make full contact at the bottom of the slot, maybe bend the tip slight to put more pressure on the connector.
As it's Rolls spec, they'll be pretty foolproof.

Rist tool.PNG

I'd say those connectors probably look like this removed
View attachment 91474

And would need a blade tool to remove similar to below, not a spike or screwdriver, as the end needs to make full contact at the bottom of the slot, maybe bend the tip slight to put more pressure on the connector.
As it's Rolls spec, they'll be pretty foolproof.

View attachment 91475
Super helpful. Thanks. Got a more robust tools arriving tomorrow so will see how I get on. The picture of the connectors definitely helps me get my head around his this may be jammed in there

Old thread here:

The only ones I have dismantled have had rather well-disguised "sliding parts" that are simple...when you know how!
Thanks for the link!

Got it off. Thanks for all the advice folks! Turns out there wasn'y
Thanks for the link!

I managed to get the connector eventually disconnected. It actually looks like the picture below. For anyone else's future reference dealing with 1980's Lucas Rists connectors, there is no 'prong' holding them in on the side of the connector like modern connectors. They actually have two small wings on the wire side that need pushing or pulling up, then the connector can be simply pushed through the center using a connector tool until it pops out the other side.

Rists Connector Disconnected.jpg

Hopefully someone will find this useful one day. Onto the next challenge - since these appear to be obsolete, I now need to figure out how to uncrimp the connector so I can reuse it! If anyone's got any good suggestions on this I'd love to hear them!

You should be able to tease open the crimp onto the insulation with a small screwdriver, then cut the copper close to the crimp.
Lay the stripped end of the new wire on top of the crimped area and solder in place, then close the crimp onto the insulation with pliers when it's all cooled down.
Did three connectors like this yesterday.

It might be an idea to choose a more recent and readily available connector system, of which there are many. yes, it would mean changing plug and socket, but if you chose a suitable system, and also got the relevant crimping tool, it might be a longer term solution. Kits are readily available, and i seem to recall BigClive reviewing crimpers in one of his videos.

Reply to How to disconnect a Lucas Rists 1988 connector? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net