Discuss How to make typical dynamo? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

croq

Hello, I'm Michael and I'm nearly ending my studies. I need to create one element: typical 6V dynamo (like that one in bicycles). Why handmade dynamo? I need lesser friction to make my engine working. All I found is:
f85ea0e36bcf2a248f2ce4d820072814a5113364_large.jpg

But I still have few questions.
1) Does it have to be a flat magnet?
2) Is it possible to acquire more than 6V with this dynamo?
3) I heard that between the magnet bar and iron core parts here must be steel wool - is it true?

My engine will work using belt drive - everything will be driven by neodymium magnets. I guess that those magnets are strong enough to create 6V or maybe more.

Thanks.

Hello, I'm Michael and I'm nearly ending my studies. I need to create one element: typical 6V dynamo (like that one in bicycles). Why handmade dynamo? I need lesser friction to make my engine working. All I found is:
f85ea0e36bcf2a248f2ce4d820072814a5113364_large.jpg

But I still have few questions.
1) Does it have to be a flat magnet? No it doesn't, it depends on the layout of your iron core.
2) Is it possible to acquire more than 6V with this dynamo? Yes, depending on the design you gould generate thousands of volts
3) I heard that between the magnet bar and iron core parts here must be steel wool - is it true? Don't understand, why do you say steel wool?.

My engine will work using belt drive - everything will be driven by neodymium magnets. I guess that those magnets are strong enough to create 6V or maybe more.

Thanks.

See in red.

Thanks for your reply. But what do you mean by "layout of iron core"? I have to create dynamo for LED bulb or just any other 6V bulb (by quantity 500+ lumens would be ideal :D ).

As an engineering student you don't need me to tell you that design comes from an understanding of the principles, rather than other peoples' crude sketches found on the internet. If you have to make the thing yourself, read a proper text book on how electrical machines (= motors & generators) work. If not, buy it ready made - it will probably be more efficient than a one-off you make by hand. Remember that a permanent-magnet DC brush motor works well as a generator.

Hate to say this, your drawing shows an alternator!
I had dynamos on my bike - I'm talking forty some years ago.
I have a notion that they were actually AC machines. I had a friend who put a front and rear wheel unit in series. The result was flashing lights. The units were out of sync.......

I made the mistake of taking the front lamp off and held it while cycling along. Soon let go of it!

It was AC and I could feel each pulse.

There are many things that determine the power output of a dynamo !
1 - Size of magnet.
2 - Size of iron core.
3 - Number of turns in field.

So you cannot always put in a bigger magnet, and get more out.
If your core is already saturated then that's it.
No more will come out.

What have you tried already ?

Reply to How to make typical dynamo? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net