Discuss i need a hand with an annoying clicking noise! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mike2790

Alright sparkies,

Got a bit of a problem with a light I was asked to have a look at today, I didnt have time to investigate as I had to shoot off to another job. Anyway, theres a light fitting in an entrance hall to a swanky office building which is switched via a 360 degree PIR mounted on the ceiling directly next to the light fitting. The problem is that when you activate the PIR, instead of being bathed in a lovely flourescent glow, your greeted with a god-awfull clicking sound. The only way I can describe the sound is that of a contactor which is constantly trying to switch...but failing. Now I don't know whether the clicking noise is coming from the PIR because there is something wrong with the 'gubbins' in the light fitting. Or if the switchgear is clicking because it has failed in the fitting. Or if the PIR itself has had it?
There is a link to the spec of the light fitting here:
The Electrical Warehouse Offers For Sale ProTec Horizontal CFL DownLight
The nearest thing to the sensor that I can find online is one of these ones, only the one which is fitted is square, whether things are different within different models i do not know:
British Lighting: Steinel IS360 D in White, Steinel Motion detectors (PIR's), SteinelIS360D
Any ideas.
Any comments are appreciated.
Cheers
Mike.

I would have a look at the settings on the PIR and maybe tinker around with them.
If that didn't work I would bypass the PIR to see if the light fitting is at fault.
Then I would probably replace something.

my way of thinking that. just didnt have the time today. i was wondering whether it was an obvious thing to someone else. the only reason im asking is because the clicking noise could have been either of the two as they were so close together. gotta go back in a week or so and thought itd be wise to take a spare fitting or pir along with me. cheers.

Mike go to the PIR to to check for the clicking or you could be correct the noise is from a contactor relay If I was doing it I would fit it next to the DB and fit an overide switch (ie 2 way switch that takes the feed off the PIR and puts it on to the contactor/ relay for situations like this because if all else fails you can override it. But thats me you may find this has been an after thought and someone has chucked the relay in the ceiling void so to find it you may have to take a light down. Anyway keep us posted and tell us what you find.

I would have thought the relay is built into the PIR. My first impression was that the clicking could have been coming from the plastic in the fitting expanding in the heat (I've come across that before) but it sounds more like the relay just isn't latching. If you end up replacing it it's worth forking out for a decent one - rubbish PIRs really are rubbish - unreliable and annoying.

An override switch is a good idea and can work well in certain situations, but in others I can imagine the staff will quickly get fed up of the PIRs and just leave the override on all the time.

I would have thought the relay is built into the PIR. My first impression was that the clicking could have been coming from the plastic in the fitting expanding in the heat (I've come across that before) but it sounds more like the relay just isn't latching. If you end up replacing it it's worth forking out for a decent one - rubbish PIRs really are rubbish - unreliable and annoying.

An override switch is a good idea and can work well in certain situations, but in others I can imagine the staff will quickly get fed up of the PIRs and just leave the override on all the time.

Depending on the size of the load the pir relay may take it if not the an aux relay/contactor could be fitted and if the contactor faceplates are dirty or contaminated then you can get a chattering or it could be a bad connection

sounds to me like a faulty PIR they can sometimes do this when they are unstable caused by a dry joint of faulty compnent try changing the PIR , you can also get in some PIR's random flashing when the PIR is switching off this can be overcome by installing a diod across the L1 and L2 terminals ,but check the PIR first

cheers for all the replys fellas, im gona take a new pir with me just incase but i'll have a fiddle with the one thats fitted first. i'll keep you's posted on what happens. itl be more than likely next week though.
thanks again, mike.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope to get someone that can help, I am going through the same issues with the pir however I know for a fact the pir is working as its been test on another circuit. Down lights turn on then off initially then pir just keeps clicking and not turning on is there anyway the installation is to fault. Its connected to a LED dimmer of which I have done before many times. Can an inconsistent voltage be a problem maybe installed lots of these pirs and never had an issue until now.

Are you saying the PIR is feeding the dimmer or the dimmer is feeding the PIR?

Are you saying the PIR is feeding the dimmer or the dimmer is feeding the PIR?
Its ok I resolved the problem, the dimmer feeds the pir and unfortently the dimmer will not allow me to use the pir, which I find odd as I have done this before and worked. I changed it for a switch, customers happy with that so solution.

It might have worked before, but only by luck, and is not in any way guaranteed to carry on working. The PIR is supposed to run on 230V sine wave AC but what it is getting from the dimmer is a variable voltage of variable waveform, which is well outside of its working parameters. It would work the other way, with the dimmer between the PIR and the light, if the PIR output is a relay (not a triac) and the dimmer is not a programmable type that loses its settings if not kept powered up.

It might have worked before, but only by luck, and is not in any way guaranteed to carry on working. The PIR is supposed to run on 230V sine wave AC but what it is getting from the dimmer is a variable voltage of variable waveform, which is well outside of its working parameters. It would work the other way, with the dimmer between the PIR and the light, if the PIR output is a relay (not a triac) and the dimmer is not a programmable type that loses its settings if not kept powered up.
Its been in for two years and working fine.

Reply to i need a hand with an annoying clicking noise! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net