Discuss Immersion Heater Element Fault....Help Please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

sorry, phil. missed your post . bloody page is jumping all over the place. i try to scroll down and nothing happens. then 1 minute later, it scrolls down 3-4 posts.
same on my puter,when you change a page the info logs into other places, therefor changing pages takes ages

As will says, crack the seal with a hammer and chissel. Using a chissel you can make a groove so later you can hit at a tangent.

I've spent to much time doing mechanical bashing.

Best way to loosen a tight element in a cylinder tank (not that I want to teach anybody how to suck eggs) is to put the spanner on and tap (hit/bladder) it in the clockwise "tightening" direction. That should crack any detrius or thread locking s h i t e that's holding it in place. Un-doing is then, as stated on a famous advertising campaign on TV, "simples".

Tried it. Unfortunately im a skiny **** electrician. If she decides to go ahead with the new element im gonna get my plumber mate to come and undo it. Hes got a few extra pounds than me.

Im sure the customer will be delighted with the house flooded :)

Oh dear ..... this is why you're just a spark (allegedly) & not a plumber !!

NEVER try to loosen an immersion heater with the cylinder empty of water - you'll knacker the top of the cylinder - EVERY TIME!!

So, with it full of water, run you hacksaw blade between the flange on the top of the cylinder & the underside of the immersion heater to remove the gasket & reduce the "tightness" between immersion heater & cylinder THEN loosen the immersion heater by sharply tapping the big hexagon nut with a hammer & drift, then putting you box spanner on it & sharply tapping that with your hammer.

Once you have it loosened THEN drain SOME of the water from the cylinder so that you DON'T have a flood!!

I cannot believe that we have 26 posts spread over two pages for such a SIMPLE job !!

Jesus Christ man ... shouldn't you be stacking shelves in Tesco???

:shades_smile:
Oh dear ..... this is why you're just a spark (allegedly) & not a plumber !!

NEVER try to loosen an immersion heater with the cylinder empty of water - you'll knacker the top of the cylinder - EVERY TIME!!

So, with it full of water, run you hacksaw blade between the flange on the top of the cylinder & the underside of the immersion heater to remove the gasket & reduce the "tightness" between immersion heater & cylinder THEN loosen the immersion heater by sharply tapping the big hexagon nut with a hammer & drift, then putting you box spanner on it & sharply tapping that with your hammer.

Once you have it loosened THEN drain SOME of the water from the cylinder so that you DON'T have a flood!!

I cannot believe that we have 26 posts spread over two pages for such a SIMPLE job !!

Jesus Christ man ... shouldn't you be stacking shelves in Tesco???

my trick, proper cast box spanner and 24v sds drill set on hammer-only on the handle. vibrates the bloody things out a treat. makes a lot of noise but the look on customers faces is worth it.
always get signed paper saying customer to pay if boss rips out... not my fault if 30year old tank is paper thin.

ps. i'd love a job at tescos... holiday pay, sick pay, pension, not covered in sh*te, no paper work to worry about...... Hmm, remind me why i'm a sparky again?
been a long day.
LOL.

Reply to Immersion Heater Element Fault....Help Please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net