Discuss Incorrect SWA glanding/bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doesn’t BS951 specifically state those comps are for pipes?!
Hmm. Not just for pipes
9F196BB0-0BA2-4D3C-8BB3-38F2D80E8A1C.jpeg
“Other means of earthing” could include the armour of the SWA. So maybe it complies with BS951?
NO IT DOES NOT
Note 1 Specifically says that these clamps are not intended for the connection to the armour or sheath of a cable. !!!

probably contravenes 512-05-01 too.

Last edited:
A chap called Mark from the IET kindly provided me with this breakdown:

BS 7671:2018 requires that all equipment is suitable for the environment in which it is installed; the following regulation is explicit:

522.3.1 A wiring system shall be selected and erected so that no damage is caused by condensation or ingress of water during installation, use and maintenance. The completed wiring system shall comply with the IP degree of protection (see BS EN 60529) relevant to the particular location.
NOTE: Special considerations apply to wiring systems liable to frequent splashing, immersion or submersion.

The relevant IP rating is AD4 and IPX4:
As examples, the following special locations, i.e. similar outdoor environments exposed to the elements, have IPX4 requirements:

Caravan Parks:
708.512.1.1 Presence of water (AD)

Equipment shall be selected with a degree of protection of at least IPX4 in order to protect against water splashes (AD4).

Electric vehicle charging installations:
722.512.2.201 Presence of water (AD)

Where installed outdoors, the equipment shall be selected with a degree of protection of at least IPX4 in accordance with BS EN 60529 in order to protect against water splashes (AD4).

The BS 951 clamp around the cable is likely to damage it due to the pressure exerted:

522.8.1 A wiring system shall be selected and erected to avoid during installation, use or maintenance, damage to the sheath or insulation of cables and their terminations. The use of any lubricants that can have a detrimental effect on the cable or wiring system are not permitted.

Summary
  • The installation method in no way protects the cable and protective earthing connections from damage by exposure to water. Corrosion of the connections and armourings of the cable will occur very quickly in this type of situation. Loss of connection to the means of earthing is extremely dangerous and users of the connected equipment could be at risk of electric shock.
  • The steel-wire armoured (SWA) cable has been installed without the correct gland and shroud. Pressure exerted by the BS 951 clamp will, eventually, damage the cable’s insulation in this type of installation. Due to temperature, in summer the components expand, in winter the components contract. Failure of the insulation will mean that users of the connected equipment could be at risk of electric shock.
I hope this helps.

When I did my apprenticeship in the late 1990s you would never EVER have used an earth clamp on Swa cable like that in the picture... You would have been slung off site.
But in recent years I have noticed a heck of a lot of newly registered Sparks using earth clamps on Swa cables. Especially on park sites.
But imo its still rough as a badgers...

Using a 951 clamp like that runs the risk of damaging the insulation and the problems associated with having no insulation...

Reply to Incorrect SWA glanding/bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net