Discuss IP rated in Bathroom if ceiling is outside zones? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cairns

Hi there,

Just wondering as the ceiling in my bathroom is 2.4m would it be within the regs to put regular downlights in as the zones only cover up to 2.25m right? or does this no matter, do they have to be protected for water ingress?

Cheers

john

I would say NO

Blown lamp,bare feet,blood on the stairs carpet,wife annoyed,medics tut tuting,but at least it was above the zones :)

I just re read my answer, and how a moron like me can manage to read what I want, instead of whats written
I answered no to having standard downlights,but should have answered Yes to should they have water ingress
So
They should be suitable for the environment as I described,so even though they are out of zones,they are not suitable
thank you Davey for alerting me

Last edited:
I would say NO

Blown lamp,bare feet,blood on the stairs carpet,wife annoyed,medics tut tuting,but at least it was above the zones :)

:) I agree, but to answer your question, you are right, it is within the regs so it does not need to be ipx4 BUT in the guide to the building regs on this location it states that luminaires out of zones 0,1 and 2 should be suitable for the conditions so I would not personally put standard downlights in John.
Regards
David

Sort of situation where you use some judgement. Yes it's out of the zones but only by 15cm, not much when you think of steam rising from a hot shower if the lights placed directly above.
In agreement with the last two posts put it in IPX4 just to be safe.

If it's new it's notifiable to buildings control too. (new circuit/alteration/ addition)

As above your correct but to put a normal pendant fitting above/near a shower will give you problems later on. You are only 15cm out of the zone and steam dosent care about things like that. For the case if a few more quid fit an IPx4 rated fitting. Besides it being safer, it will last longer and looks better.

if u are gonna do it then do it right from the off in my opinion, regs are never black and white at the best of times, however i would not fit anything but ip rated fittings in a bathroom. This is basic stuff really!

if you've ever sat in the bath and had a red-hot GU10 drop on your nuts, from " outside zone", you'll fit IP rated next time......................

I understand all you,r views but outside the zone is outside the zone. gu 10s do not drop out of fittings and are not affected by shower steam,I have had them above my bath/shower for 12 year,s and their are no problem,s. fit ip rated if you prefer but there is no need under regs. the lamp on a fan/light fitting is not coverd

Reply to IP rated in Bathroom if ceiling is outside zones? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net