Discuss Is a socket in a cabinet outside the zones in a bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got a customer who's wanting a washing machine and tumble dryer in the bathroom.

Normally the solution is to hard wire into FSUs but he's come up with the solution of kitchen units and a work top with the sockets in the void between the wall and the back of the units.

Could this be argued to be outside the zones?

Got a customer who's wanting a washing machine and tumble dryer in the bathroom.

Normally the solution is to hard wire into FSUs but he's come up with the solution of kitchen units and a work top with the sockets in the void between the wall and the back of the units.

What's your opinion?

you tell me your opinion and I will share mine!!

oh ok, I would consider it outside of zone.

Wondering really (hence the post). On the face of it , the spirit of the reg is there to stop e.g someone using a hairdryer in the shower. Unlikely to happen if they have to pull the washing machine out first. However the socket isn't actually in a cupboard with a closing door.

there is always a difference opinion between following the reg's like a blindman follows his dog,
and the people who understand the reg's and follow them to the letter where it is important. but follow them in both principal and intention (spirit of the reg) in practice, without ever reducing safety but applying a can do approach. it is not an easy choice sometimes but your moral standings should guide you to one side of the fence or the other.

you are right, the book provides the answers.

however, just to counter the argument, what stops someone hosing down the contents of there kitchen with the garden hose that is just outside the kitchen door?

we all work in an environment that is all about reducing risk, however there are some risks that you have to consider to be irrelevant because only sheer stupidity would put you in danger?

do we put barriers up along every road incase someone is stupid enough to walk blindly into it?
do we put safety switches on car bonnets that stop the engine when we lift them incase someone sticks there hand in moving parts?

it is all about risk assesment. unfortunately the regs give little space for that so we have to apply them with the best of our knowledge and experiance.

p.s. i am a little bit ----ed now so don't take my word as gospel!!!

It’s a bit ambiguous anyway as I’ve seen much like everyone else on here 100’s of bathrooms with a socket just out side the door.....sometimes less than 1 meter let alone 3....but it’s outside the room so....I think I’d want to see cupboard doors in the units personally

however, just to counter the argument, what stops someone hosing down the contents of there kitchen with the garden hose that is just outside the kitchen door?

Nothing stops them from doing that, but accidentally dropping the shower head or the shower head falling out of its holder and spraying the room is a more likely accident.

I know I've accidentally sprayed most of the bathroom when washing the dog, and when washing dye out of my hair.

The regs are very black and white when it comes to bathrooms... or "rooms containing a bath or shower" so if there was an incident after you had fitted a socket in a bathroom even behind an appliance.... your insurance co, or your scheme will not back you up.

Grey area would be a WC. Where ive seen new builds with the consumer unit above the basin. Still loads of water to splash about.

In my own house, I can stand in the shower cubicle, with the shower screen open and the door open, I can touch the lightswitch. Perfectly acceptable regs wise, as its outside the room... but unlikely to happen. not impossible.

Yeah, what colour?
and do you diet?
Sorry , it's a bit late, so no offence meant!

On the topic, I think its not compliant, but in Spain it is very common to find a washing machine in the bathroom, pluffeg in to a socket in an area we would define as not allowed...they don't drop dead...
However, the regs there are tightening up, so if you have an electrician in to do work, they will remove the sockets which are beside the whb, fit a blanking plate, and leave the innards for you to refit later.
[automerge]1583446266[/automerge]
With you on that littlespark...new-builds with CU in downstairs WC...I just don't like it, especially where you have to stand on the loo to inspect the CU. Just daft, frankly...but then you all know my views on new builds...

What colour do you dye it ??

Various colours, usually blues and purples but occasionally reds.

IMG-20181223-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20190501_064217.jpg

Reply to Is a socket in a cabinet outside the zones in a bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net