Discuss Is it possible to a squeeze a lighting RCD onto this old MK Consumer unit ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul N

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
The CU is c.2006 and I was hoping NOT to have to pay for a new metal CU with all new MCBs, RCDs etc. There seems to be a lot of debate about whether my lighting circuit at position 7 requires an RCD but if it does can anyone figure out a way of using the existing CU - the space at position 17 is too small as only an MCB would fit. Can we combine the electrical heaters at 5&6 to make room ? I won't be doing the work myself - just trying to figure out what is the art of the possible before commissioning the work.
Many thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Consumer_Unit Sir.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 54
I suspect the time clock and contactor have pushed things out of kilter hence the narrow gap, you can however replace the mcb with an rcbo.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-se...Lc6I2-spXiTXvVPbi-MaAo8qEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I suspect the time clock and contactor have pushed things out of kilter hence the narrow gap, you can however replace the mcb with an rcbo.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-se...Lc6I2-spXiTXvVPbi-MaAo8qEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
That's brilliant thank you for your help - I was worried I was going to have to pay a fortune (which I haven't got) to replace everything !! Many thanks once again.

I suppose with the cover off, the electrician will be able to ascertain whether it’s possible to nudge the devices on the right over a bit to give space to just move the lighting breaker onto the rcd side.

I suppose with the cover off, the electrician will be able to ascertain whether it’s possible to nudge the devices on the right over a bit to give space to just move the lighting breaker onto the rcd side.
Hi Little Spark thanks - I think its pretty crammed in there so will buy the RCBOs in any case. Thank you for responding - every bit of advice is useful here !!

Hi Little Spark thanks - I think its pretty crammed in there so will buy the RCBOs in any case. Thank you for responding - every bit of advice is useful here !!

I would let the electrician buy anything needed.

Reply to Is it possible to a squeeze a lighting RCD onto this old MK Consumer unit ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net