Discuss Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've a feeling, with all the new house building 'planned' by the government that we're going to need a hell of a lot of newly qualified 'trades people' in the next few years. With brexit we're not going to be importing any ...so where are they going to come from?
Are these 'private teaching firms' offering qualification courses going to get their houses in order?
.....or are we going to re build and open all the technical colleges that used to be, to provide proper apprenticeships?...Some chance!
More means for money making for the scammers and friends, I'll wager.

This will be my last post on this topic as most people all ready know my views on scams

But good luck with the 3 year competent person scams and I am sure you will get some poor saps to part with their hard earned money

But nothing will change and nothing will stop me finding botched installations every week that was supposedly fitted by an 'electrician'

This will be my last post on this topic as most people all ready know my views on scams

But good luck with the 3 year competent person scams and I am sure you will get some poor saps to part with their hard earned money

But nothing will change and nothing will stop me finding botched installations every week that was supposedly fitted by an 'electrician'
So if they say you can't join a competent person's scheme without a gold card you're going to give up work? Did you do the same when the schemes themselves came out?

Last edited:
...or are we going to re build and open all the technical colleges that used to be, to provide proper apprenticeships?...Some chance!
Great idea... maybe divert some of the money squandered on universities ? A degree in 'Meja Studies' vs. A trade apprenticeship ??

From my experience, everyone carrying out electrical work who shouldn't be hasn't even been on one of these 6 week courses you're talking about. They're just handymen who think they can do it but they couldn't be more wrong
This.

Those that take the time and commitment to change career, spend thousands and gain the required* qualifications are rarely the ones to worry about.

They are no more or less likely to turn cowboy as those that went the full college, apprenticeship, NVQ and AM2 route.

Some control is undoubtedly needed but you have to ask how THIS and previous attempts are going to deliver this.

The vast majority of those offering unqualified and uncertified electrical services will continue to do so as THERE IS NO WAY OF KNOWING that the work has been done.

People don't care in that any new circuit to the garage, garden room, loft conversion, hot tub will often never come to light. The only real mechanism is on the sale of a house and even then chances are it will not be picked up.

The parallels with gas are a bit of a false comparison as, one, the opportunities for gas work are usually no more than 2-3 per property and, two, even with gas anyone can go into screwfix and buy a cooker hose. Do you really think there is no illegal gas work going on?

All this is is a rebranding of the present state of affairs, more schemes, more certificates, more paper course,more hurdles to jump, more expense to those that do the job properly....

....and most importantly more expense to the customer who is even more likely to get dodgy Dave in to fit that new light.

(*required, not necessarily desirable or the experience that is essential)

It's easier/cheaper for someone on a scheme to notify any notifiable work. Doesn't mean those not on a scheme can't do it though, there are other ways, plus not all domestic work is notifiable.
So basically, anyone can do electrical work and we just need to hope that those doing it know what they're doing and that's the best we can hope for?

So basically, anyone can do electrical work and we just need to hope that those doing it know what they're doing and that's the best we can hope for?
Exactly.

The only thing stopping anyone doing any domestic work they want is that some of it should be notified to building control and often the customer will expect the electrician to do it via certifying the installation after the work is complete.

If you do electrical work without doing this the homeowner has to do it.

Currently, there's nothing to stop anybody from doing any domestic electrical work.

There will be a few people on facebook etc who buy a nice card printer and sell perfect copies of these Gold cards for ÂŁ80 .
Blimey!...that's an hour's work charge for some.......or ÂŁ20 short of a call out charge.

Except ethics.....but that thought went down the pan for many, ages back.
I would guess people who feel confident and competent to do the work wouldn't have a problem with ethics since they probably don't think they're doing anything wrong.

That said i find people to be much more ---- online about all the stuff we talk about on here compared with real life where most people really don't care.

I would guess people who feel confident and competent to do the work wouldn't have a problem with ethics since they probably don't think they're doing anything wrong.

That said i find people to be much more ---- online about all the stuff we talk about on here compared with real life where most people really don't care.
A better way of putting it,
If they get what they pay for, OK....if they don't, they've no idea anyway, so who gives a t0$$.

Some of us are still ethical, by the way.
Plenty, in a position to be, ARE NOT.

A better way of putting it,
If they get what they pay for, OK....if they don't, they've no idea anyway, so who gives a t0$$.

Some of us are still ethical, by the way.
Plenty in a position to be ARE NOT.
Depends how you define ethical though.

I wouldn't say carrying out a CU change for example with zero qualifications is 'unethical' if you know you can do the job safely. Some would.

Depends how you define ethical though.

I wouldn't say carrying out a CU change for example with zero qualifications is 'unethical' if you know you can do the job safely. Some would.
My point's made.
Keep picking, if you you've got an itch, essex.

Reply to Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net