Discuss Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tMy point's made.
Keep picking, if you you've got an itch, essex.
Doing the same job as someone who has paperwork, just without paperwork, isn't unethical. Real ethics have little to do with arbitrary regulations made up by men. I don't consider people like Edison or Franklin to be charlatans because they lacked formal education. I wouldn't consider it unethical for Franklin to teach electrical engineering to somebody because he didn't have the formal education of others. If you do, crack on mate.

No idea what your Essex comment is about.

Those carrying out work in their own properties are entitled to do so....

Those going round telling folk they're competent at this, that and't other....but then not carrying out works to the required standards whilst charging for it need exposing and dealing with...
Part P is a building reg....scheme membership is an ACCREDITATION....not a qualification....
So, anyone going round claiming they're "Part P qualified" needs treating with suspicion...

This does not necessarily include Kev kitchen, Barry bathroom fitter, Bobby builder and Fred the floor layer etc etc...

Those going round telling folk they're competent at this, that and't other....but then not carrying out works to the required standards whilst charging for it need exposing and dealing with...
Part P is a building reg....scheme membership is an ACCREDITATION....not a qualification....
So, anyone going round claiming they're "Part P qualified" needs treating with suspicion...

This does not necessarily include Kev kitchen, Barry bathroom fitter, Bobby builder and Fred the floor layer etc etc...
There's no such thing as 'part p qualified' as far as i know.

Part P is just a building regulation.
But you can take a course in building regulations for domestic properties, including Part P, and a city and guilds exam which results in you receiving a certificate C&G 2393-10.

In much the same way as you can take the 2382 and receive a certificate, showing that you are versed in BS7671:2018:2021.

Both of which are among the courses offered by the private training facilities.

None of which mean diddly squat of course, without the rest of the courses and the on the job experience needed to become a competent electrician.

The idea that a person can become an electrician in a few weeks has been allowed to fester and prosper, instead of being squashed flat by the powers that be, as it should have been from the start. Now we're seeing the effects of this watering down of our industry.

I'm not against the new 3 year domestic apprenticeship, I just think it will make very little difference in terms of improving the standards and raising the bar.

Yes they are. As long as they take on the responsibility for notifying any notifiable works that they choose to do. Otherwise they'll be breaking the law.
And because of the general lack of knowledge and understanding of the whole ridiculous Part P scheme, they'll probably have no idea that they're breaking the law.

Reply to Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net