Discuss just found on ebay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kids or foreign folk who are happy with £5 a day tto feed themselves! Banging them out in one day is clever though takes me 1 day to get my routes planned and start wiring! Lol
Wages ain't so good these days (probably down to 50k) but i have personally made over 90k pa doing contract rewires and, you can switch your phone of at the week end

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so how does it go with teams doing contract rewires? I'm not taking the Mick, or saying it can't be done, just curious. How many in the team, who does what sort of thing.

who ever did that board couldn't afford a padsaw or spirit level by the look of the way they have chewed up the plasterboard above the cu.also i don't like all the debris left at the bottom of cu, or the floral wallpaper but i suppose thats only my taste.

OK, so how does it go with teams doing contract rewires? I'm not taking the Mick, or saying it can't be done, just curious. How many in the team, who does what sort of thing.

Ok see if you can imagine and try and follow this routine

Spark No 1 working downstairs
Spark No 2 wiring the property
Mate,laborer,2nd fixer.guy on less money than the other 2, call him what you will,for now he is No 3

Start
No 1 strips out the old mains and fits a ready made temp supply board
Spark 2 goes upstairs and starts moving furniture and carpets up,assisted by No 3

No 1 starts fitting trunking that's required for all of downstairs.
No 3 strips out old stuff down and up
No 2 gets boards up and drills the beams

No 3 jumps up and wires the attic
No 2 starts wiring under the boards
No 1 continues trunking

No 3 2nd fixes the attic
No 2 has cables prepared to drop down,he gets the cables up to the uostairs positions
(No 3 may delay 2nd fixing the attic to fish these cables downstairs to their positions for No 2
No 1 continues trunking

3 hours or so have gone and the attic is almost complete
The downstairs is almost trunked
The wiring is all but installed

No 3 finishes attic 2nd fix
No 2 starts relaying floorboards ready to 2nd fix the upstairs sockets
No 1 continues trunking and now putting lids on where the cables are now ready

No 3 finishes attic and starts on the downstairs 2nd fixing
No 2 starts 2nd fixing his upstairs sockets
No 1 continues trunking and putting lids on

6 hours has passed perhaps because they may have stopped momentarilly for a quick cup of tea(a dinner break is very rare)

No 1 is now fitting the consumer unit
No 2 is now cleaning upstairs and putting furniture back because its all 2nd fixed
No 3 is carrying on 2nd fixing the downstairs

A very short while later
No 2 is now downstairs helping finishing off 2nd fix with No 3
No 1 (who has completed the consumer unit) is helping

Power goes on ,check for correct working of sockets lights etc
Holes being patched with a filler of some sort
One man is loading the gear thats not needed onto the van,job almost done

By the way before testing is mentioned,this can be done very easily as the rewire progresses
Example, upstairs ring.last socket,test the continuity of the conductors,figure of 8,probably never done,Zs at each socket at the end of job
Many firms, if not most firms, rely on the bang test, the actual testing was done by the likes of me going in after the job was completed

They work very hard and believe me,most do the job very well
There are always all sorts in all jobs and some may be excellent, others I wouldn't trust putting up a shelf

The system completely disregards bs 7671 test procedures for safe use of the installation,but it works,it keeps the price down.it pays the guys very well indeed, and it needs young fit skilled sparks to handle it

My Grandad had a similar experience back in the 70's when he bought a house. Gang came in, bish bash bosh, job done super-fast.
When it got dark that night his living room light wouldn't turn on, so he phoned the firm the next morning.... Turned out that despite a checklist he'd been given by the foreman confirming all circuits tested and working, there was no cabling at all to the living room lighting pendants! Great story he still enjoys telling :)

the actual testing was done by the likes of me going in after the job was completed

so you sign off other peoples work after they have put floor boards down,left an unqualified mate do alot of the work .no mention of cable calculations do you check this on inspection or has it been done before hand? are the householders left with unchecked work until it is inspected?

the actual testing was done by the likes of me going in after the job was completed

so you sign off other peoples work after they have put floor boards down,left an unqualified mate do alot of the work .no mention of cable calculations do you check this on inspection or has it been done before hand? are the householders left with unchecked work until it is inspected?

No I didn't sign off anybodys work
My own standards of installation, methods of work, test and inspection and general compliance with regulations and requirements are not to be confused with other companies that I did work for,my own work ie Test and inspection was done dilligently and correctly

I did what I did on all types of installations, where people were/are engaged to design, others to construct and others to test installations

I was not an employee,I was engaged on a price to do as I said,to visit these properties,some times weeks or months after the installation
The companies own qualifying supervisor would oversign all certificates carried out by their own employeees
That was the way it was done,it probably still is the way its done by many house bashing firms

I was not engaged to make judgement on the Niceic system that these firms operate under,I was not responsible for any standards of work or otherwise,I was there to gather circuit values,quantities installed, and compliance with the regs and was paid accordingly

I have seen this Niceic Qs system used in the past and still being used and abused
I am and was at the time,completely opposed to the Niceic and the methods employed by their registered companies,ie, using what was a large construction system for small scale domestic work,more so now with the Qs system shockingly being used for domestic installer companies

Finally to answer your last point
are the householders left with unchecked work until it is inspected?

I did say that the bang test was usual and the answer to you is, a resounding YES they were, and the systems probably still perpetuates

Do not for one moment confuse my involvement with these firms with my own training,,experience or personal
standards,they are two different animals
The question was how cheap wiring contracts can be done and the methods used,
I used my own knopwlege to answer that querie

ok sorry, if it sounded like i was patronising your work effic and please don't take it personaly.
i asked these questions as i couldn't understand where the responsibility would be if any of these installations went wrong,

It's very hard graft , I used to do it for th council when work was very short at my last firm, don't be fooled into thinking its a plumber doing rewires on his part scope scheme, I have just started out but wait for it , my dads a plumber! We decided to join forces so "we" have started doing electrics, (well I have!) but to you guys doing a search you would also think it is a plumber doing electrical work! Just my 2pence

I once had SPI wanting me to wire occupied houses for £680 I kindly rejected the offer as I know my worth and let some other mugs crack on with that stuff

Reply to just found on ebay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net