Discuss Ladbrokes banner! - Dan is fixing the forum ads, and other things - Sorry lads! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sorry guys this is my bad. I'm considering letting an external firm take over the google advertisements as they have a bigger pool of advertisers than I would have access to as a mere guy with some forums.

During the testing process the other day, I didn't click a few buttons and it enabled ads for all people again. FFS. (I am also seeing lots of ads BTW which usually isn't the case - I see the odd one to know they're active but not all)

After that, I broke the forum just. So priority was getting that fixed. Now I have a few dozen server error logs to get my head around as I think I've just broke auto emails that go out when people reply to a thread you've made. I might not have but I have to check now.

And on top of that @Lou is just hooking back up the "login using your twitter, facebook, google or microsoft account" thing which I removed from all forums a couple of years ago because our forum developers have updated their end of those connections so that if you've signed in using one of those, you don't get any tracking cookies following you around on the forum that facebook or google etc might be trying to use.

Selling data like they used to appears to be a thing of the past now Zuckerberg got told off in EU/UK courts a while back.

Note that I'm working on all the above and apart from eating and sleeping, I plan to only keep working on it all. Ads will be fairly low priority until I've managed to get auto emails working and bounce emails bouncing to the right place etc.

Use this thread to keep up to date now it's here. :)

Last edited:
sorry guys this is my bad. I'm considering letting an external firm take over the google advertisements as they have a bigger pool of advertisers than I would have access to as a mere guy with some forums.

During the testing process the other day, I didn't click a few buttons and it enabled ads for all people again. FFS. (I am also seeing lots of ads BTW which usually isn't the case - I see the odd one to know they're active but not all)

After that, I broke the forum just. So priority was getting that fixed. Now I have a few dozen server error logs to get my head around as I think I've just broke auto emails that go out when people reply to a thread you've made. I might not have but I have to check now.

And on top of that @Lou is just hooking back up the "login using your twitter, facebook, google or microsoft account" thing which I removed from all forums a couple of years ago because our forum developers have updated their end of those connections so that if you've signed in using one of those, you don't get any tracking cookies following you around on the forum that facebook or google etc might be trying to use.

Selling data like they used to appears to be a thing of the past now Zuckerberg got told of in EU/UK courts a while back.

Note that I'm working on all the above and apart from eating and sleeping, I plan to only keep working on it all. Ads will be fairly low priority until I've managed to get auto emails working and bounce emails bouncing to the right place etc.

Use this thread to keep up to date now it's here. :)

Cheers for the update!

Okay.

I think I've done everything I can to fix all the emails.

You will all notice that when you get an email it will be from [email protected] rather than [email protected]. The latter was wasting time (but saving us a few pennies) when people replied to a forum email with "I can't login", we then had to ask which forum they meant. Also, there are a few people registered to all forums and that confuses those people even more so.

So each forum has their own email account now that reflects the domain name.

Also now when an email gets bounced a few times in a row, that account will be put into an inactive state. The username related to that email will then need to login and change the email. If they can't after a few months their account will be removed during housekeeping.

Also now when you click an unsubscribe link in any email, it will unsubscribe you from that email type instantly and not require human interaction our end. That was becoming a pain in the arse given how big the forums are now and how many emails go out daily across all the forums.

What @Lou has done so far can be seen here: https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ - Connect any of your accounts you'd like to. This doesn't mean when you share to those networks anything changes. It just means if you're already logged in one on a device you're using then load the forum, you're also logged in here at the click of a button. As I said before we did use this some time ago but it quickly came to light that Facebook was being naughty with their tracking cookies so I removed all external logins. Developer communities now it seems at least agree that has stopped. Or at least they are now more open about it and stick it in their terms and conditions for you to consider (ignore more like) when you're signing up to such networks.

I'm going to get some grub then come checkout these ads again. I've refreshed the server errors a few times and it seems all emails are working as they should be now.

Anybody getting stuff in Polish? I have 5 repeats of the same ad on one page... Vilmar Training offering electrical courses in Polish. Plus the Chinese company PCBway are advertising in Polish. I do buy PCBs and I do use multiple languages on the WWW, but Polish isn't one of them, so if this is targeted it's a bit stuknięty.

I don't get any ads, thanks to the excellent advice from another forum member, and while i would like to acknowledge him here, i refrain from doing so in case he gets inundated with queries!

Oooh have you been looking at holidays to Cancun @littlespark

I wish I was on holiday lol.

Anybody getting stuff in Polish? I have 5 repeats of the same ad on one page... Vilmar Training offering electrical courses in Polish. Plus the Chinese company PCBway are advertising in Polish. I do buy PCBs and I do use multiple languages on the WWW, but Polish isn't one of them, so if this is targeted it's a bit stuknięty.
Should all be fixed for now mate.

Though I've only reverted back to our old ad system after testing something and then it failing to work.

So at some point I will be testing again so perhaps just some advance warning and a thread from be would have been better.

You know me though, I just tend to log on and think hmmmmm let's do this right now as that's surely the best time to do it. lol

The banner covering the top of the screen is now gone!!

Thank you for sorting this.

The banner covering the top of the screen is now gone!!

Thank you for sorting this.
I will be testing again in the coming weeks but I'll test on tilers first eh lol

No Lego adverts??

Took their time in coming…. But yes….. yes there is.

EF953F5B-CA3A-40AC-8BE2-F28F030F7655.jpeg

And just like a lot of the other adverts…. It’s for things I’ve already got….

Reply to Ladbrokes banner! - Dan is fixing the forum ads, and other things - Sorry lads! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net