Discuss Large display screen for generation/production information in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

solarfred

I need to source a decent large screen display for a reception area to display performance data. I have read a vague post about this a long time ago.
I plan to supply a SMA 7000 mini central so SMA bluetooth should work but connecting it to a large monitor??

Issues: Will replacing existing single phase 3.7kw installation with two extra arrays over the existing 3 phase supply negate the existing FIT agreement? They want to replace the existing single ph. inverter for 3ph version.
Or if I use 3 x single phase inverters will this solve the registration problem as just changing an inverter should not interfere with FIT agreement on the original install. I just add 2 more single phase arrays.

Then tie all the inverters into one screen display.

Any experience or advice is appreciated.

SMA do large screens themselves or you could try the Rico displays which work off the pulse from the meter - this keeps things simple. Alternergy supply them.

Interesting one...

The MCS certificate could still have the same panels and generation meter on....

Add two more generation meters and two MCS certificates one for each phase....

Dunno. Speak to FIT provider?

Certainly adding two single phase inverters would be the easiest route as there is no discussion.

I'm not sure if a three phase meter can work across only two phases so you might need two more meters anyway... Give Andy at Sibert a call to answer that one.

Thanks for that I will check with supplier but then there is another problem as they want matching panels and these were Amerisolar 185's which are not common and they changed the design since. Doubt I will find a stash of old ones. If I change the panels it will definitely cause a problem so I will have to get as close as possible.

Changing panels as well will DEFINITELY means a new FIT application, it'll be treated as re-powering which is not allowed under the (current) FiT rules, be interesting to see what happens when one is destroyed by fire and replaced under the insurance .........

You wont be able to keep the Amerisolars and add another make of panels as the SMA 7000 mini central only has a single tracker. So all in all you are far better off just adding in two more single phase systems - what's the existing inverter?

Large screen - most cost effective solution:
You don't need to rely just on SMA for your large screen display, you could easily use an emontx (with three calibrated CT's) with a Raspberry Pi as a combined emonbase / emoncms and hook it up to any large screen HDMI display - that way you could customise exactly what they see on screen, check it all out here: Solar PV Monitoring System | OpenEnergyMonitor If you need someone to set it all up I know a few geeks that would love the project!

Most 3PH meters are actually polyphase so will allow registration of energy on only one or two phases.

We can also provide hardwired or wireless displays (fed from meter's pulsed output). See here for some info http://www.sibert.co.uk/products.php?id=61&c_id=46

One key feature of these displays is that you can connect to an existing install without having to break any wiring and also you can input the kWh value that the meter is currently at so it doesn't just start off at zero. Not sure if the Ricoh units allow that...

Reply to Large display screen for generation/production information in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net