Discuss Learnin multiple trades ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Freshstart2

As some of you know i want to become an Electrician.
But is it worth learning another trade aswell to increase my opportunities ?

Thanks.

your local college do hobby courses plumbing, woodworking, brickwork which will give you the basics and tilling..id say are good enough for the £20 fee

I've often thought of becomming a electrummer or a plasterician.:cool:

I suppose some plastering knowledge would be handy for making good chases etc.

BIG PROBLEM WITH THIS.
We sparks moan about our trade being devalued by plumbers, Kitchen fitters, uncle Tom Cobley an' all having a go at sparks work, all legal as well if under PartP defined scope and registered. How many defined scopers bending the rules???
See my problem with this, a little knowledge and all that.
Sparks is sparks, copper monkeys are copper monkeys, wood butchers are wood butchers. Stick to what you know and do one thing well, plenty of 2 week trades getting up the nose of proper time served tradesmen. This should not be allowed.

This should not be allowed.

LMAO - Dont see a problem with it myself, long as you know what your doing and your competent there is no issue.

Some trades take longer than others to get good at and also qualified at etc.

Good luck with your choice mate

BIG PROBLEM WITH THIS.
We sparks moan about our trade being devalued by plumbers, Kitchen fitters, uncle Tom Cobley an' all having a go at sparks work, all legal as well if under PartP defined scope and registered. How many defined scopers bending the rules???
See my problem with this, a little knowledge and all that.
Sparks is sparks, copper monkeys are copper monkeys, wood butchers are wood butchers. Stick to what you know and do one thing well, plenty of 2 week trades getting up the nose of proper time served tradesmen. This should not be allowed.

If i learnt another trade i would make sure i learnt it properly.

The company I served my time with insisted your first year was spent doing electrical, mechanical fitting/machining and welding. Then you went in to your trade.
Over the years I’ve saved more than one fitters reputation by welding and the re-machining shafts and keyways. Once you learn it you never forget.
I’ve still got my Presto and Dormer workshop pocket books.

Many maintenance jobs require you to have knowledge other than electrical.
Working on domestics will probably require you to have some knowledge of woodworking, plastering, and even plumbing and tiling.
All trades require some of that.
But sparks shouldnt hang doors, plaster walls or weld for that matter.

The company I served my time with insisted your first year was spent doing electrical, mechanical fitting/machining and welding. Then you went in to your trade.
Over the years I’ve saved more than one fitters reputation by welding and the re-machining shafts and keyways. Once you learn it you never forget.
I’ve still got my Presto and Dormer workshop pocket books.

Same here, C&G pt1 in welding, mechanical and motor vehicle.
The purpose of that is to give you an understanding and basic knowledge of other trades, not give any qualification beyond that. In other words you then know when get the fitter in.

I've done a lot of pipe fitting and some plumbing as well as sparking, but I'm only qualified as a spark. Im nowhere near good enough to be a plumber, but I'm a reasonable pipe fitter. And there is a difference. I know my limitations but I'm always willing to do something new.

As for sparks not welding, when I carried out my training in the Royal Engineers, we were taught how to silver solder and how to braze and arc weld. All good skills for spark, although rarely used nowadays I'd still be happy to solder lugs on if I needed to, but with modern compression tools I doubt I'd ever need to.

I've done a lot of pipe fitting and some plumbing as well as sparking, but I'm only qualified as a spark. Im nowhere near good enough to be a plumber, but I'm a reasonable pipe fitter. And there is a difference. I know my limitations but I'm always willing to do something new.

As for sparks not welding, when I carried out my training in the Royal Engineers, we were taught how to silver solder and how to braze and arc weld. All good skills for spark, although rarely used nowadays I'd still be happy to solder lugs on if I needed to, but with modern compression tools I doubt I'd ever need to.

We are on the same page really.
Would you prepared to prove competance in your other "trades" ......erm NO.
That is my point, we all "do a bit" in our general dat to day activaties. Thats how it should remain. Unless you do it day in day out, forget it or retrain, its not like ride'in a bike.

As a spark you should be able to solder a joint!!!!

Reply to Learnin multiple trades ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net