Discuss Level of IP for unit within meter cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have got to split some more tails etc and pop a mini consumer unit in someone's meter cupboard.

I always put IP rated consumer units in, you know, just 2 way etc.

Is it really necessary or would you say putting a normal metal clad unit it would be ok? Its just this time I have got to terminate some SWA into it and it would be a lot easier if I could just terminate it into the metal one thats all.

Whats your thoughts on it?

I would put an outdoor rated garage unit in such a place, usually IP65. Although the cabinet is gong to be IPX4 rated at least, it could still be subject to condensation from the temperature encountered outdoors. It's going to be the cheaper option I would have thought anyway. As for SWA termination, you should be fine and dandy.

Hi,

I have got to split some more tails etc and pop a mini consumer unit in someone's meter cupboard.

I always put IP rated consumer units in, you know, just 2 way etc.

Is it really necessary or would you say putting a normal metal clad unit it would be ok? Its just this time I have got to terminate some SWA into it and it would be a lot easier if I could just terminate it into the metal one thats all.

Whats your thoughts on it?

I don't think many DNO's like the idea of having a CU, mini or otherwise in a cabinet housing their service cut-out and meter installation!! They are normally fine with a consumers switch fuse, but a CU is pushing it...

Customers owns the OMB but generally it's accepted that only the DNO's equipment is on the meter board internally as well as externally. Yes it has been done before, but sods law they might tell you to remove it. Having said that I doubt anyone seeing it would give a damn!

Usually I would not put one in, but...

This particular house has three cupboard, one electric, another elctric and one gas.... see photos...

So I don't see the harm in using the middle one quite honestly.

And why its like this? I have no idea, it makes no sense, the CU is about 1 meter up and a bit to the left from where the what do you m'call it is. So there are three boxes and this is the middle one. The only explanation I can put on it is, its a cock up. Its got 100A fuse supposedly and 25mm tails, and they go into this, and the 16mm twin an dearth feeds the main house consumer unit.

Oh and house, its about 5 years old. The mind boggles.

2015-01-05 11.56.45.jpg

Are you sure this isn't the customers own box added to house their equipment? (Rather than the DNO's).
If so it's up to you (and the customer) what is fitted.

Are you sure this isn't the customers own box added to house their equipment? (Rather than the DNO's).
If so it's up to you (and the customer) what is fitted.

There are three identical boxes, all put in when the house was built, the customer has no idea about it either and she had the house from new.

Usually I would not put one in, but...

This particular house has three cupboard, one electric, another elctric and one gas.... see photos...

So I don't see the harm in using the middle one quite honestly.

And why its like this? I have no idea, it makes no sense, the CU is about 1 meter up and a bit to the left from where the what do you m'call it is. So there are three boxes and this is the middle one. The only explanation I can put on it is, its a cock up. Its got 100A fuse supposedly and 25mm tails, and they go into this, and the 16mm twin an dearth feeds the main house consumer unit.

Oh and house, its about 5 years old. The mind boggles.

View attachment 27497

I may be wrong but it looks like the DNO wouldn't allow the switchfuse on their board, so rather than siting it internally they have fitted another standard electric meter cabinet to house it. As far as the DNO will be concerned as the board in there is not theirs you can mount what you want. I would go with your initial thought of metal clad to terminate swa as long as the cabinet and door is in good nick. At the end of the day if you don't your going to have a metal adaptable box anyway to terminate.

make sense out of something done by a builder? yo gotta be joking.

Reply to Level of IP for unit within meter cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net