Discuss Light switch replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soxfann18

DIY
Reaction score
I am replacing a single pole switch that controls two light fixtures. Seemed easy enough, the old switch had two black wires that were connected by backstabs and a red wire that was connected by the screw on the side. After replacing the switch, one light was controlled and the other was on all the time. I tried connecting the two black wires together by pigtailing with a third which was connected to one screw and the red one to the other. Any help would be awesome

Sounds like one of the black wires is the permanent live in, and the other black and the red should go to the lights.
Connecting the two blacks together has resulted in one light being on all the time.

You probably need one of the blacks and the red together. If you try that and you get the same effect as at present, that's the wrong black!

Can you show the old switch and where the wires were connected.

Avo MK, thank you. That was the problem. After rewiring with the red wire pigtailed everything worked. I guess I'm just used to red being that color for a different reason (load, power, etc.)

Reply to Light switch replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views
I have a strip light in the kitchen operated from a single switch. I want to replace it with a straight bar 4 spot array. There are three supply...
Replies
Views
Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock