Discuss Looking for advice on the best brands of Domestic CU available in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. Can any electricians who carry out domestic installations recommend the best brands of CU currently available. I am a recently retired electrician (over 50 yrs in the trade) but worked mainly in industrial/commercial installations and maintenance. Working now for family, friends and neighbour's for mates rates of course. I prefer good quality gear and I don't mind paying for it.I am familiar with the likes ok MK , Crabtree, Merlin Gerin and Square D etc but I can see a lot of new names out there now such as BG ,MCG, M2, Proteus, and Contactum etc. I will be grateful for any advice/recommendations that electrician's have to offer. Thank you.

Fusebox CUs seem to be very popular with a lot of members. BG are good value for the price. I've used several BG without any problems. . Proteus are own brand by CEF and are pants.

Hi. Can any electricians who carry out domestic installations recommend the best brands of CU currently available. I am a recently retired electrician (over 50 yrs in the trade) but worked mainly in industrial/commercial installations and maintenance. Working now for family, friends and neighbour's for mates rates of course. I prefer good quality gear and I don't mind paying for it.I am familiar with the likes ok MK , Crabtree, Merlin Gerin and Square D etc but I can see a lot of new names out there now such as BG ,MCG, M2, Proteus, and Contactum etc. I will be grateful for any advice/recommendations that electrician's have to offer. Thank you.
Not Proteus though, had some awful catastrophes with Proteus

generally domestic sparks will tend to install what ever is cheapest or on special at their local suppliers.
that said I don’t do math board swaps these days and will only use rcbo boards...

Similar position to you "Retired-still-interested", now days I only use Hager boards and RCBO's they seem to give less problems than most.
Till you try to get the cover screws in., 3 hands needed. 1 to hold the cover in correct alignment, 1 to hold the flap up, and 1 for the screwdriver.

And don't forget a consumer unit change is classed as notifiable works under Part P of the building regulations.
I don't have the Part P qualification. I was left unimpressed a while ago when I had to pay my local authority planning department ÂŁ55.0 to come and inspect/test the new wiring I had installed in a building extension to my property before they would sign it off to comply with Building Regs etc. Without being disrespectful to the young electrician who attended he asked me if I had installed additional lightning and power circuits or extended them and what my test results were. He made a note of all that and signed it off. It felt like a box ticking exercise where the experience and knowledge of the electrician counted for nothing. Would it be a one day course for me as an experienced electrician and what would it cost me

Fusebox, Lewden, Wylex and Hager.

For some reason customers don't want to pay out for Schneider...

IMO even if the do come with magnets to hold the flaps open, it's still not a good enough reason to use them.
The Contactum boards come with magnets to keep the flaps closed (at least the last ones I installed did, before I changed to Fusebox about a year ago). Without the magnets, the flap didn't quite stay closed. I was never totally happy with this arrangement.

Reply to Looking for advice on the best brands of Domestic CU available in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net