Discuss Most reliable brand of Led Flood & GU10 Lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil Thompson

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi there folks, I am interested to hear your views on what you've found to be the most reliable brand of Led Flood light and also GU10 lamp.

Also any brands to avoid? I've had a load of V-Tac GU10 go faulty, so stopped using them, Source GU10 are another, in my own kitchen, 2 went within a month, the other 4 went a month apart, so all 6 gone by 5 months

I've given up long ago on built in pir sensor floods, and go the separate option now or old skool halogen if not possible, too many callbacks that they just weren't worth the hassle.

Seems the wholesalers are having issues too, and discontinued a fair few brands of gu10 in particular, so when 1 lamp goes it's difficult to get replacements to match.

I'd like to be able to bulk buy a load of cool and warm white and know I can get them again, at the moment Bell seem to be doing the job for me at £3 plus the Vat, non dimmable, however I've noticed that Lap dimmable gu10 at screwfix are £1.99 all in. But I'm hesitant as I didn't think much of the lap socket and switch range when I've worked on it at jobs. So would be interested in anyone's views on those if you've used them at all.

Sorry for the long post lol

Hi Phil, I normally use brackenheath for LED floods and have also installed hundreds of LAP LED GU10's dimmable and non dimmable and never had a problem. You can pick non dimmable up for £1 each if you buy 50 at a time. They are about the only LAP product I buy though. They also have 2 year guarantee.

Thanks Lee, that's good to hear, my thinking was if they got decent feedback I'd give them a go, maybe just carry the dimmable and know I can cover both scenarios and always have spares to match an occasional faulty, with have less space taken up by carrying both types.
I haven't tried the brackenheath floods, but will check with my wholesaler.

i buy minisun GU10s and other styles good lumen output, good price. not had any failures.

Bell are awesome for led gu10 we supply 1000's every month no returns.

Also Timeguard pir floodlights are the business, again zero returns. We tried them all Ansell are very good too.

Rule of thumb for me as a wholesaler, supply better quality at a higher price cheap is cheap for a reason.

Yeah £3 plus Vat I pay for the Bell, usually for 4-6 at a time too. Just started using them, so great to hear they are reliable.

The Timeguard stuff looks really good too, especially the way you can swap out or add in the pir's on them, but very pricey. Hard to get folks here to spend that much, but handy to know they are reliable for those that will pay that, gives me an option over halogen pir then.

I have used a lot of Ansell stuff, really like their twist lock range of downlights, especially the ip65, much better spread of light from them. Their floods are nice and compact too, and their under cupboard Led strips are great as well.

Though their led rgb ip65 led strips are dung, 1 job, first time connection was loose, returned, still loose the second time, they handed a tube of silicon and said re connect yourself and deal with that, then the last metre wouldn't work at all, then 4th time it wouldn't switch off, replaced, still won't turn off, goes to a very dim stage, everything else works, full colour spectrum, flashing programs all work, dims up and down, just off button only puts it to Low dim not actually off, the Ansell Rep tried to say it was kinked and that's why it won't turn off, where my point would be the issue must be between driver and remote, and asked for a replacement, the rep tried to tell me that the strip is programmed to the driver and remote. lol so still in dispute, thankfully the wholesaler rep is of same view as myself

Last edited:
With @Leesparkykent on the GU10's never had a LAP LED GU10 fail yet and if you buy them from Screwfix they will change anything without question, bit of no brainier really if you have a Screwfix close by, they are cheap and light colour/quality is good.

Yeah £3 plus Vat I pay for the Bell, usually for 4-6 at a time too. Just started using them, so great to hear they are reliable.

The Timeguard stuff looks really good too, especially the way you can swap out or add in the pir's on them, but very pricey. Hard to get folks here to spend that much, but handy to know they are reliable for those that will pay that, gives me an option over halogen pir then.

I have used a lot of Ansell stuff, really like their twist lock range of downlights, especially the ip65, much better spread of light from them. Their floods are nice and compact too, and their under cupboard Led strips are great as well.

Though their led rgb ip65 led strips are dung, 1 job, first time connection was loose, returned, still loose the second time, they handed a tube of silicon and said re connect yourself and deal with that, then the last metre wouldn't work at all, then 4th time it wouldn't switch off, replaced, still won't turn off, goes to a very dim stage, everything else works, full colour spectrum, flashing programs all work, dims up and down, just off button only puts it to Low dim not actually off, the Ansell Rep tried to say it was kinked and that's why it won't turn off, where my point would be the issue must be between driver and remote, and asked for a replacement, the rep tried to tell me that the strip is programmed to the driver and remote. lol so still in dispute, thankfully the wholesaler rep is of same view as myself
Yeah it's a hard sell for us on the Timeguard, we are based around old pit villages so money is tight, but people will pay once you explain the benefits of buying better quality gear. In my experience every manufacturer has a dodgy product in the range experience tells you what to avoid.

With @Leesparkykent on the GU10's never had a LAP LED GU10 fail yet and if you buy them from Screwfix they will change anything without question, bit of no brainier really if you have a Screwfix close by, they are cheap and light colour/quality is good.

Good to hear you're happy with them, screwfix nearby so not hard to get, will give them a go, be good for the dimmable required jobs in particular.

Yeah it's a hard sell for us on the Timeguard, we are based around old pit villages so money is tight, but people will pay once you explain the benefits of buying better quality gear. In my experience every manufacturer has a dodgy product in the range experience tells you what to avoid.

Yeah definitely, on the stuff to avoid.
Will have a chat to my rep and see what his prices are on the range during the week.

Reply to Most reliable brand of Led Flood & GU10 Lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net