Discuss Moving kitchen sockets a few inches using 4MM tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alan.surry

It's been a couple of years and very little practice since I completed my 2330 courses so I'd appreciate a little advice to save me any grief if and when we come to sell.
Basically, our kitchen is being refitted shortly and I need to lower some sockets by 2-6" from their current positions as they are positioned at different levels to each other. The ring is in the ceiling void (Concrete floor) and the walls & ceiling are otherwise OK, so rather than chase out the existing wiring, ruining the plaster & ceiling, I'm considering crimping 4MM tails to the 2.5mm twisted pairs in order to move the sockets down without too much mess. Although I can't see any problems with the circuit as far as the load is concerned (Each socket would in effect be a 4mm spur), I'm not sure if the end result would be acceptable when and if it is inspected at some point in future. The connections will be plastered over and tiled so I need to make sure they are rock solid. Any suggestions on what type of connector to use would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Alan

P.S. I just read a couple of other posts & realise that I may not be able to bury crimped connections under plaster & tile. Is this right? If so, I can see a new ceiling & a whole lot of platering on the horizon!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see what and why you are trying to do. The only problems i can foresee are 1, a kitchen is a special location, notifiable etc etc, 2, cable joints completely inaccessible are a no no. My advice would be to bite the bullet now and re chase the walls and put in new cables from the ceiling to your outlets, join the cable above with wago or helacon connectors and make sure you know where they are for future reference. If you plaster any connections into the wall, you will have a damn sight more mess and expense if you have to dig them out at a later date than you will now if you rechase the walls etc.

Crimped connectors, Wagos etc are considered permanent joints and do not have to be accessable, and should you wish can be plastered into the wall (suitably covered). Its not ideal and personally wouldnt do it. The problem arises when you sell and the next sparky comes along and pulls the socket off to fit another and finds what would appear to be the end of a 4mm radial. Screw conectors e.g. choc blocks and junction boxes MUST be accessable for inspection.

If your fitting a kitchen, is there any way you can plan the cable joins behind cabinets and maintain the ring integrity all the way to the sockets.

Thanks!! I was looking for a fairly easy (& safe) solution, but but crimping 6 cores intead of 3 isn't going to make much difference & I can always put the joins behind (or just above) the cabinets as you suggest. You may have just lost the plasterer a job & saved me a whole lot of grief. So much for the early night, looks like I don't need it after all.

Thanks again.

Reply to Moving kitchen sockets a few inches using 4MM tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net