Discuss Multimeter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LankyWill

After some advice on a mulitmeter, I am moving from a domestic background into more commercial based work. Is there a need for a multimeter in this area? All i have at the moment is a MFT1720 and a Megger TPt210. The works will be anything from new installs to fault finding. I have some horrendous crappy one from screwfix at the moment which i use for alarms but id dare trust it on anything about 12v. I mean whats best for proving dead and two pole voltage detector or a multimeter?

My multimeter is a megger avo410 and it's a brilliant little tester. For fault finding installations I use an analogue IR tester (£20 on eBay)
You cannot use a multimeter for safe isolation, you need an approved voltage indicator

+1 for Fluke, worth it in the long run. For anything to do with inverters and electronic loads, true RMS is worth having too. In any case look for the overvoltage category of both meter and leads, which governs what parts of an installation it's safe to use on. The AVO 410 is cat IV which is excellent and safe for the origin of typical systems. A lesser meter with only Cat II is not protected for the kind of transients that could occur on heavy circuits.

Not a multimeter as you could set it to the wrong setting when proving dead.
a decent multimer like a fluke wont blow up unless you put it on +1000v they have safety circuits that will stop it shorting out a circuit to create a spark.

scrowering ebay is a good place to get one i got a fluke 179 for £80 (i had an ebay voucher) they regually go for £100 and they have a 10 year guarantee just on the lcd.

flule multimers put the mft's both there own and most of there competitors to shame

After some advice on a mulitmeter, I am moving from a domestic background into more commercial based work. Is there a need for a multimeter in this area? All i have at the moment is a MFT1720 and a Megger TPt210. The works will be anything from new installs to fault finding. I have some horrendous crappy one from screwfix at the moment which i use for alarms but id dare trust it on anything about 12v. I mean whats best for proving dead and two pole voltage detector or a multimeter?
a martindale voltage indicator is the best thing to prove dead, no batteries to change and the new ones are unfused as well

make sure your voltage indicator conforms to bs 61243-2

Reply to Multimeter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net