Discuss Need help doorbell wiring! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aarthur66

DIY
Reaction score
I live in an old pier and beam house. We recently had to have our ductwork redone and around the same time our doorbells stopped working. We have two doorbells. After a lot of looking, I was able to find the transformer under the house. The way it is mounted I could see if getting knocked around and the hvac techs putting it back wrong.
wondering if I am just wired wrong or if the transformer has actually gone bad?
pictures attached and thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 77541078-7CB3-4774-9AA8-DBB6E8B658E9.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 28
I live in an old pier and beam house. We recently had to have our ductwork redone and around the same time our doorbells stopped working. We have two doorbells. After a lot of looking, I was able to find the transformer under the house. The way it is mounted I could see if getting knocked around and the hvac techs putting it back wrong.
wondering if I am just wired wrong or if the transformer has actually gone bad?
pictures attached and thanks so much for your help!
It appears that the red goes on the load screw and the other wire that’s connected to the same screw needs to be hooked to the 16 vac to 30ac screw

It appears that the red goes on the load screw and the other wire that’s connected to the same screw needs to be hooked to the 16 vac to 30ac screw

I tried that. No luck. When I touch the lv wires at the doorbell, I can see the chime move, but it doesn’t seem like it has the juice to strike.

I added three photos showing the front doorbell wire color, the back and the chime. From the transformer, I can see which wires are directionally running to the front and the back. Hoping with these pics someone can point me to the correct wiring configuration at the transformer.

Attachments

• B8E8A8A9-317E-426D-AD5B-2E83CC4DB918.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 025C996E-C442-478C-B4ED-1DDA9050F5BC.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D5AC64A0-E853-4C00-A626-56D9594D9B58.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 8
I tried that. No luck. When I touch the lv wires at the doorbell, I can see the chime move, but it doesn’t seem like it has the juice to strike.

I added three photos showing the front doorbell wire color, the back and the chime. From the transformer, I can see which wires are directionally running to the front and the back. Hoping with these pics someone can point me to the correct wiring configuration at the transformer.
Have you actually measured the voltage on those 2 wires

Reply to Need help doorbell wiring! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net