Discuss new consumer unit - futrue proof advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You'll find quite favourable reviews here of the Hager CU's, not fitted one myself. Believe the Design 30 is their 'Premier' range.

Worth me contacting them to see what I should get? May evenbuy the unit to make sure I know what I’m getting, but will never even thinkabout messing about doing it as a diy. Thanks for you input

Worth me contacting them to see what I should get? May evenbuy the unit to make sure I know what I’m getting, but will never even thinkabout messing about doing it as a diy. Thanks for you input

You wont have any problems with the hager CU's. I completely trust the switchgear too and use it as my brand of choice.
The design 10 range is slightly cheaper than the design 30. the design 30 features a lockable lid, a rear entry flange, and tail clamps. I fit the design 10 as standard and have no issues with them.

Don't buy it yourself before you chat to your sparky. You may get similar prices buying a 5+5 dual RCD board, but you may find that on less common items such as this board and the RCBOs your electrician may have discounts in place at the wholesalers that will save you money.

You wont have any problems with the hager CU's. I completely trust the switchgear too and use it as my brand of choice.
The design 10 range is slightly cheaper than the design 30. the design 30 features a lockable lid, a rear entry flange, and tail clamps. I fit the design 10 as standard and have no issues with them.

Don't buy it yourself before you chat to your sparky. You may get similar prices buying a 5+5 dual RCD board, but you may find that on less common items such as this board and the RCBOs your electrician may have discounts in place at the wholesalers that will save you money.

Hi thanks for your comment. Any ideas how much I should budget for a 20way hager cu installed all rcbos. First phase would have most of the ways blanked off. Probably only use up to 7 ways to start.

Hi thanks for your comment. Any ideas how much I should budget for a 20way hager cu installed all rcbos. First phase would have most of the ways blanked off. Probably only use up to 7 ways to start.

That will have to be something discussed with your electrician, but as a rough guess with 18 RCBOs provided, board provided, fitted, tested, certificated, I would budget at least £600.

Look at a Hager VH124 two row hybrid domestic consumer unit. probably looking at around £200 for the enclosure and around £25 an RCBO. Pricey bit of kit with 18 RCBO's but Hager is also my go to board as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
Hum.... are you sure? I would have thought closer to £900.00

I did emphasise the "at least" part. Maybe it is a bit unrealistic though.

I have based that on the best trade discounts possible, no markup, and labour at a discounted rate based on it being part of the OP's ongoing electrical work.

I did emphasise the "at least" part. Maybe it is a bit unrealistic though.

I have based that on the best trade discounts possible, no markup, and labour at a discounted rate based on it being part of the OP's ongoing electrical work.

So the customer know has the ability to do one over an unsuspecting sparky - assuming there really is one.

I always price a CU change as a complete job, inc testing and notification....... if they ask for a break down, I decline to do it and walk away.

So the customer know has the ability to do one over an unsuspecting sparky - assuming there really is one.

I always price a CU change as a complete job, inc testing and notification....... if they ask for a break down, I decline to do it and walk away.

To supply, fit, test and notify the kit I mentioned in #26 he wouldn't be getting any change out of a grand.

Well, not really as material pricing is no secret in the internet age. Any sparky worth their salt would decline to match a price taken off the internet based on not seeing the job if the price did not align with their pricing structure.

Just to make it clear, there is nothing sinister going on here.I just want to get a ball park figure so that I can make a budget allowance forthe works. I’m making provisions for future expansion and comments through thisforum have been very helpful. I’m a mechanical engineer and would not dream of dabblingwith this, but do like to plan ahead and at least get a bit of backgroundinformation so that I understand what I’ll be getting. I’m looking to get threeelectricians over to view the works and obviously will listen to their viewseven if it differs from what’s been discussed on this forum.

Look at a Hager VH124 two row hybrid domestic consumer unit. probably looking at around £200 for the enclosure and around £25 an RCBO. Pricey bit of kit with 18 RCBO's but Hager is also my go to board as others have mentioned.

I've only scanned the thread, but I'm pretty sure the VH124 is metal with a plastic cover - i.e. not A3 compliant. Probably need to look at the VML11010 for A3.

I fitted a dual row Hager board a couple of weeks ago. Great bit of kit. Can't beat Hager imo

Reply to new consumer unit - futrue proof advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net