Discuss Night Storage radiator swap for convector heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi i dont believe there is any rcbo available as a retro fit to my knowledge but correct me if im wrong, im sayin they are wylex retro fit mcbs goin by the fact pip said they have a round push in button to reset which was the early type of retro fit mcbs. the unknown 15a in cu no1 is prob goin to be immersion or a radial. neutral and earth is always shared on dual tariff usally all go back to a service block and met thats fine. 1 rcd would be acceptable for convectors, split load prob not an option due to size of board and little room as u say and tbh not really needed, best option is 6 way cu with 4 rcbos but thts around £150 as appose to around £ 50 for 6 way with rcd no main switch needed use the rcd. you will need to feed the new cu from cu 1 as before in suitable size cable prob 4 or 6mm and will have to be put on cert as distribution circuit and tested like all other but will not require rcd protection so existing mcb should be fine, im trying to picture in my head with what your telling me so without seein there could be things im missing, this should be a run of the mill task for an electrician if ur unsure i would say leave as it is and put a plug in convector heator on the wall near a socket ( as a cheap landlord freindly solution) not corret tho i no, and maybe discard of the storage heater if neccesary

Hi All,

Please see pic of CU's in question,

IMG00058-20101220-1359.jpg

I agree with you on the 15 amp on CU 1

So what to do, Swap out CU 1 so it includes an RCD (s) or number 3 to include RCD?
Leave number 2 alone, and test the whole circuit, (probaly needs doing anyway as it's a rental property, new tennant 18 months ago, should have a ticket but not had it confirmed)

yes they are the early retro fit mcb i was thinkin of, and what to do will depend upon the budget, i personally would start the job off with a periodic report as being a rented property it should be done. Then to replace cu3 and move the cicuit and rcd protect cu3 only would be the cheaper option, but i suppose to replace cu1 would be the more correct approach. 1 thing tho i cant see from the pic are they the wooden backed cu ? if they are then i would code all 3 as code 1 as the cu is made from a combustable material then replace the lot as you will not be able to make any alterations to them. might have to adjust that cupboard slightly tho tight in there lol :)

Just had a similar job but with 2 CUs. Unable to put the E7 circuits into the standard rate CU, so United Utilities came out and disconnected the E7 meter, put tail through an isolator, into henlys then 2 sets of tails into the henlys. No charge either.

Saved me having to mess about swapping CU etc

tbh it doesnt look like this circuit is goin to reach down to the bottom board either unless they come from floor up but i think he will still have 4 eco7 circs in use in the middle board so eco7 meter would have to stay i think.

Reply to Night Storage radiator swap for convector heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net