Discuss Not sure what our options are. Advice required for homeowner please. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

eiluj68
...But if safety is also your priority,make sure the scheme member and importantly the person actually doing the pir, is competent and dont rely on that membership alone

If you get a pir of a competent electrician you will more than likely have no problems whatsoever when you sell
You will find your concerns at the moment will become wonder at why you thought there was a problem at all

Thank you. Having been the recipient of so many useful and informative responses on this forum has enabled us to take a more balanced view of the situation.

Whilst I'm very unhappy that the electrician lead us into believing that the certificate he issued complied with current standards, I do understand why he might feel that the new regulations are a waste of time and money for someone with his experience. On the other hand, the consumer needs to be protected against someone with little or no experience/competence. Whether the current system addresses this point is debateable.

I do think that it's important for potential customers to be properly informed and to that end I will probably add a post to our local community forum recommendations board suggesting that people check in advance that the electrical work they have done will be certified properly and that they understand the value of that certification. Just because someone is Part P registered it doesn't follow that they will necessarily do a good job. Similarly, someone who isn't Part P registered can still do a good and safe job. However, there are legal obligations on the householder to ensure that any notifiable electrical work done is correctly certified and if they fail do this there is the potential for problems when a property is sold on, even if the local authority building control are too busy or uninterested in getting involved.

Thank you for providing such informative posts eiluj68. Good luck with your next step.

Folks - on the basis that any domestic client is usually a lay person, unless an electrician specifically says work will not be notified to LABC (even though it is supposed to be), I would wager that they have failed in their duty of care to the customer and should be liable for any costs that arise from that failure to notify. Isn't this a case for lawyers, perhaps after a "this is what I think what are you going to do about it" discussion with the sparks?

Just what is this 'Part P' certificate that people keep referring to? Is it just an acknowledgement that is sent out by a scheme to confirm that works have been duly registered with LABC?

And I think max allowed Zs's are wrong, as well as what Rappid commented on. And there is something going on with his max measured Zs when compared to the R1+R2 and Ze. But doesn't look too bad. He seems to be a sparky. Just didn't log it with building control. Eiluj68, when you get the next load of works done, get a bloke who will log it with building control and ask him to issue you with a completion cert for the work he does, and register it with the council and a periodic inspection of the works the other bloke. That should cover you. Sort of! did.

Good point JamesBrownLive. I have never seen this mythical Part P Certificate. All I've seen is a piece of paper with my name on it, sent to my customer, from the niceic. I think it says certificate on it somewhere. And something about a 6 year guarantee. But Part P? Don't think so

Good reply from simonspark i would say that would be your best course of action if you are thinking of either extending your house or having a new kitchen bathroom etc at least bonding ,characteristics of your supply would be checked to make sure everything was up to scratch.Armed with a new completion cert that would cover you for future house sales instead of paying labc a shedful of money

Its probably just me, but..... Those RCD disconnection times seem incorrect, cooker excepted.
I thought the only circuits that were allowed 5s times were those over 32a and distribution circuits (411.3.2.2)?

Cheers

Hang on. There are many errors here. PSSC 0,23 KA? That would mean a Ze of 10 ohms at 230 volts. Nominal voltages of 230 and 240 instead of 400 and 230. All the circuits should be 0.4 disconnection time. And crazy rcd disconnection times. 11.4 ms etc. My meter only goes down to the nearest hundredth of a second. Not thousandth. Or is that just me with me old meter? Calibrated mind you!

Two things I would like to point out.
Firstly, it is the person ordering the work who is responsible for notification, not the person carrying out the work.
Secondly, there is no requirement to test existing circuits when conducting a board change.

You are wrong. If there are no requirements to test the final circuits following a board change, then it follows that you can reconnect, lets say, old virs with no earth. Or even lighting circuits wired in twin pvc with no earths. It is down to you as the electrician to highlight these problems to the customer before commencing the works. If you install rcd protection as you probably need to in most circumstances, and the new rcd then trips when the circuit is energized, do you say "You got a problem there mate" take the money and go home?

You are wrong. ?

I think it may be time to get behind the bunker with heads down
icon7.png

There is no direct reference to it. However, there are many odd little nuances in the regs. It says you can have a wall mounted light switch in a bathroom. Read on a bit more and it says you can only install fixtures that are suitable to the environment. Which means you cant have a wall mounted switch in aforementioned bathroom

Plus!!!!!!!! The few people who have been fined have been the tradesmen that have installed the electrical equipment. All that happens to the householder is that when they sell up, a sharp-eyed solicitor will see some works have been carried out and that the purchaser will get a few thousand quid knocked off the price

If you inspected and tested the installation before the work was conducted, it would be a PIR.
The only requirement for any pre-testing, is to verify that the rating of the existing equipment is adequate, and that the earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate for whatever protective measure is intended to be applied for the safety of the alteration or addition.
All 631.1 requires you to do is to issue an EIC, detail the extent of the work covered by the Certificate and include a record of the inspection and the results of testing.
It doesn't say anything about inspecting and testing existing circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only requirement for any pre-testing, is to verify that the rating of the existing equipment is adequate, and that the earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate for whatever protective measure is intended to be applied for the safety of the alteration or addition
How do you do this without testing the installation

Reply to Not sure what our options are. Advice required for homeowner please. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net