Discuss Old Dimplex storage heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got to check the elements on an old Dimplex storage heater tomorrow, it must be around 3kW. Couldn't remember how to get into the older models! I know the newer ones have 2 retaining screws on the bottom edge to release the front panel, but this old beast does not have them. Any clues?

Thank you. I think its a slightly older model, had the top section off to check the cut out, but could not get the front panel off.

I had to look in an old Dimplex storage heater a couple of weeks ago, again couldn't see the usual 2 screws at the bottom, but then realized they were just missing, and the front cover came off with a gentle tug. Of course I fitted some when I reassembled it.

I had to replace one of these yesterday. Storage Heater.jpg

This is a Dimplex, if it's the same there are loads of screws.
The side panels have 3 screws each and come away separately, the top has 4 (I think) can't remember the front.

Word of warning if you have to replace it and dispose of the old one.
I put the old one in bits into the back of the van and took it to my local dump only to be told that storage heaters now have to be double wrapped in 1000 gauge polythene for them to take them.
That's everything, the metal, the bricks, the fibreglass and anything else.
Caught me out, I've taken dozens to the dump over the years with no problems.
Make sure you allow for that in your price.

I had a customer call me after I swapped an old (well not that old - around 15 years) Dimplex storage heater a few weeks back to say the guys at the dump told her they couldn't take it as it was full of asbestos. Even the bricks!

News to me. I know some old storage heaters had asbestos insulation but thought they were pretty much all out of service now - this thing wasn't that old! A call to Dimplex and they told me that the front insulation used to be asbestos pre 1974, but no parts have contained asbestos since then. Asbestos in bricks though? Has anyone ever heard of that before?!

I had a customer call me after I swapped an old (well not that old - around 15 years) Dimplex storage heater a few weeks back to say the guys at the dump told her they couldn't take it as it was full of asbestos. Even the bricks!

News to me. I know some old storage heaters had asbestos insulation but thought they were pretty much all out of service now - this thing wasn't that old! A call to Dimplex and they told me that the front insulation used to be asbestos pre 1974, but no parts have contained asbestos since then. Asbestos in bricks though? Has anyone ever heard of that before?!

Yes asbestos was used in fire bricks It had the ability to hold the bricks together under intense heat so was added to the clay before firing.
Had a "good idea" to make a pizza oven from old firebricks and whilst googling for plans got the information so didnt bother.Good job too as I was going to cut them :skull:

There is a old 3.4 Kw one in my office which failed, like you I struggled to get the front off but it's just two screws down each side. The connector block burned out, parts are obsolete so I'm hoping the landlord is going to replace with a new one.

correction: I just checked and it's just a couple of screws along the top that need to come out after the top cover has been lifted off. Once the screws are out pull the front cover up to detach it from the screw slots in the front.

Reply to Old Dimplex storage heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net