Discuss Out house consumer unit boxing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jonbhoy

Hi all,

Sorry to ask what will no doubt be an easy answer for the pro's but hope someone can help.I do volunteering for older folk and a bit of "Advanced" DIY and was asked to paint an out house for one of the folk we look after.It was a single skinned mid sized garage which has been framed and boarded and skimmed over.However i went to look at it and alarm bells are ringing all over the place as all the coving has bad mould,theres no ventilation and all round looks a bit of a cowboy job.I will be meeting the builder in a few weeks to discuss things on behalf of the person we look after but there was one thing that did worry me.

The room already had what i would call a small garage or out house consumer unit (Ok dont laugh,no doubt got that wrong haha) which was fitted by a pro which is fine but the builder was asked to box it in.Now to me and i have only boxed in two units in the past but always have a door for easy access as i thought you must have access but this guy has built a horrible looking box and screwed it to the wall so the only way to gain access in an emergency is having to unscrew it all to get in to the unit.I told him that i am sure thats not allowed and against some codes . But wondered if any of you folk could advise me further.Have included a couple of pics of the guys "Fine work".

Many thanks everyone for your help,very much appreciated.

JonIMG_2867.JPGIMG_2868.JPG

Welcome to the forum :)

The fitter is an idiot, if this is a consumer unit or switch of any kind it requires access by the resident at all times, it should have a door or easily removed panel of some nature, plus if any fitter put that in my house I'd ask them to remove it and refuse to pay, its crap and look an eyesore.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

The fitter is an idiot, if this is a consumer unit or switch of any kind it requires access by the resident at all times, it should have a door or easily removed panel of some nature, plus if any fitter put that in my house I'd ask them to remove it and refuse to pay, its crap and look an eyesore.

Many thanks for your reply Darkwood.It is not the best of work is it,i think Chippendales are safe for the time being against this guy!!! (And no honest its not me that did it,it REALLY is the builder!)

I was just sure that you had to have access at all times otherwise it broke codes/regs and just need to have as much ammunition to go in with in regards to trying to get some money back or get them to do the job the right way!!!

Should have thought it would be an easy job to fit some hinges and a handle to that abortion.

Go on, open the box (citation Michael Miles), and lets see what's inside. Or did the builder just take the money!

Reply to Out house consumer unit boxing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net