Discuss Outside stuff? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kerv

I've got a job to install some temporary sound equipment outside in a university campus. The amp's etc' will be concealed inside IP rated boxes and the 240v cables supplying them will run through gardens alongside walkways and up in purlins above the walkways. The supplies will be coming from existing IP rated outside sockets on the side of the buildings.
The equipment isn't exactly portable, it wont be moved for the duration of its stay. I am intending to use 3183P pond flex for the supplies but I'm not entirely happy that this is sufficient, or whether I should mechanically protect it somehow?

do you have experience with speakers and soundsystems ? are the speakers passive ? sounds like
it if the amps are going in an ip box ?

how big is the amplifier ? surely too big to go in an ip box ?

why not keep the amps and mains power inside ?

are we talking a few speakers or a big soundsystem ?

Last edited:
No experience whatsoever! Someone else is doing that side of things, I'm just putting in the mains side of things. I think the lengths of runs will be too long and there's access issues with putting the stuff inside. It's only small speakers but quite a few and over a large area.

To add, I tend to lean away from pond flexies myself, armoured flex is a better bet for supplies, however without more info I wouldn't want to suggest anything really due to potential hazards, have you got a drawing and some more info regarding loads etc?

No drawings I'm afraid MDJ, as I stated earlier the amps etc are someone else's problem I've just got to get a supply out to the IP boxes. The amps are only tiny and supplying a few small (6"?) speakers so hardly any load to speak of. Armoured flex, SY etc seems a bit pointless really as it's not really going to stand up to much more abuse than pond flex and as it's got to terminate into a 13amp plug top, SWA is out of the question. I've opted for pond flex and some 20mm armoured flexi conduit to run in the more exposed bits. Sorry it's all a bit vague and rambling! :confused:

Reply to Outside stuff? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net