Discuss Oven supply question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

check with both the 2 cheaper quotes whether you will get:
1. installation certificate.
2. notification to LABC. this generally entails the spark to be niceic.napit, stroma etc.

IMO, £145 is way too cheap. the £211 sounds in the right price bracket.

Already checked and cheapest guy comes up 100%, established 1999 too. I have no idea how he makes a living at his prices, but that's his lookout :)

From my experience Quotes/estimates can vary dramatically

I have been shown estimates for electrical work by customers who have asked me to give them a second estimate for the work.

Board changes seem to vary pretty dramatically as does small works.

I get a feeling the very ‘high side’ quotes I see don’t really want the job.
For example £150 to put up a customer supplied pendant

Do it yourself and pay someone to come and test and inspect it.

Having in the past completely rewired a two-bed bungalow and a one-bed flat, that was my inital plan but two things put the mockers on that. One is my arthritis, and t'other is my uncertainty as to whether it's still legal for me to do that.

I’m thinking the old cooker circuit that was removed in the past is still lurking somewhere under the kickboard or something.
If it’s in alright nick, could be reused ????

What did @Dan do with the optimistic button?

Having in the past completely rewired a two-bed bungalow and a one-bed flat, that was my inital plan but two things put the mockers on that. One is my arthritis, and t'other is my uncertainty as to whether it's still legal for me to do that.
You can do it but you have to contact building control to get permission and they will come and test it all for a small fee.

I’m thinking the old cooker circuit that was removed in the past is still lurking somewhere under the kickboard or something.
If it’s in alright nick, could be reused ????

What did @Dan do with the optimistic button?
Ate it mate.

perfectly legal for you to do it yourself. as long as you are competent to do it. maybe get a friend or family member to assist where the arthritis is a problem. you would be technically out of order by not notifying to local building control, but nobody's ever been prosecuted for that. if they did, the courts would grind to a halt with thousands of cases backlogged. part pee......poo.
(disclaimer., the above s only my opinion and not to be used for evidential purposes in any court of law unless presided over by the Borg)

And ... just to give this thread a proper ending, cheapest sparky of three came round yesterday bang on promised time, and left three hours later having done us a first class job.

Decent bloke - civil, not rabbitting on all the time about how hard done to he is, not forever on his phone, and actually wiped his feet on the doormat every time he came in (he did have over-booties type things with him but I told him not to bother with them on account of the carpet's being replaced next week). Took pictures of various things as he was working and as he was finishing off, having asked beforehand if we were OK with him doing that.

He pointed out that we just need to be aware of a crack in a plastic moulding in the consumer unit (as opposed to telling us we need a new consumer unit), and left a very neat job clean and tidy with all required stickers and notices in place and BC informed.

Result - happy punters who will definitely use him again and will recommend him to anyone.

See...
There are a few good men out there

Not all con artists and shoddy work

Yes indeed. And I forgot to say that I was reckoning on him finishing the job once the cooker point and socket was wired in, but he wasn't having any of that. He insisted on wiring the oven up and installing it so he could test the whole shebang.

Anyhow, thanks for your help with this, gentlemen. I'll be back in due course seeking your opinions on another bit of electrical work we're hoping to be able to afford.

So you went for the bodge. Nothing to be proud of.

As said by Andy78: "There is specific guidance in the wiring regulations that any cooking load over 2kW should not be permanently connected into a socket ring circuit to avoid overloading any one portion of the ring circuit. This could be construed as being non compliant."

I'll be back in due course seeking your opinions on another bit of electrical work we're hoping to be able to afford.

Lets hope you will take notice of what we tell you next time!

Reply to Oven supply question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock