Search the forum,

Discuss Part p, schemes, special locations, need help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AdamDee

I qualifed last year and have 2330, 17th edition, 2392, 2377 and almost finished nvq 3. I rewired a kitchen last month, adding new circuit for hob and cooker, lights etc. I tested and signed off the job. I spoke to another spark about the job yesterday and he said unless I was part p I couldnt sign the job off as a kitchen is a special location. He also said I would have to register the job and pay.

I have been doing mostly agency work and working for companies so I havent come across this problem before. I am now really confussed what I can and can not do, if I need the be with a scheme, part p or what. Can someone tell me the regs on all this please, also if there is anything else I dont know about regarding all this any info would be great.

Thanks.

If you live and work in England or Wales you need to "notify" your work in certain circumstances.

To do this you can either pay LABC on a case by case basis or join Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC or Stroma

Hope this helps

As above , a kitchen is not a special location but the type of work you do in it will deem whether it is notifiable or not. If you have re-wired it then it is.

Working for an agency does not allow you to ignore part P either. I would suggest you google "part P" and do some reading up mate.
Also, you should know the regs, not be asking on here.

Thanks for all the feed back guys but Robskiing if you had read what I wrote you will see I qualified last year, as over the last 7 years I have been in the army serving my country and retrained on a resettlement package so before you write your sarcastice comments read the thread properly. And to Guitarist if you dont have anything positive to say dont say it, how is that comment going to help? I have only just started doing domestic so dont know everything about it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't being sarcastic surely they explain in class what you can do and can't do domestic wise if you read some of my past posts I have contributed some of my ideas and have taken advice vice versa I've been in the game 30 yrs and theres hardly a day pass when I don't learn something new.

Calm down, calm down.

There is a whole section of the forum dedicated to Regulations and Building Regulations etc.

Have a look through this first and visit the scheme providers' websites. The LAW relating to electrical works is explained there.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ons/4299-competent-person-schemes-part-p.html

I'm trying help here, but I too cannot believe that you did all those qualifications last year and never got a whiff of the legalities of domestic electrical works.

Thanks for all the feed back guys but Robskiing if you had read what I wrote you will see I qualified last year, as over the last 7 years I have been in the army serving my country and retrained on a resettlement package so before you write your sarcastice comments read the thread properly. And to Guitarist if you dont have anything positive to say dont say it, how is that comment going to help? I have only just started doing domestic so dont know everything about it yet.

If you are doing notifiable works then you need to either notify LBC in advance or be part P registered. That is the law, and ignorance of it is no excuse.
You are claiming to be a qualified electrician and then asking what the regs are. It sounds like you have already carried out lots of notifiable work without following the correct procedure.
That helpful enough?

You'll be glad to hear Adam that I give up. I've spent hundreds of hours trying to help people on this forum, but your insult just about does it for me. I realise that some of our comments sound sarcastic to new members, but we are answering very basic questions every day for people who are telling us they are qualified electricians. I wish you well in civvy street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam, I myself completed 23 years colour service last year and retrained. You have to understand that the electricians trade is very different from the Army, most of the people posting on this forum have spent many years training to become electricians and although you may see some of the comments being a little negative you have to understand that questions like this are being asked all the time, the natives are getting a little tired of it.

Your training provider should have informed you as to what is notifiable work and what isn't, if they haven't then that's their failing and you should be getting in touch with them to remind them of the fact that they have failed to meet the requirements of the training package. Or you could have just fallen asleep at the back of the class.

A rough guide to what's notifiable: http://niceic.com/Uploads/File3730.pdf

If you're carrying out agency work then the company employing you at the time does the notifiable stuff however this does not mean that you can work in full ignorance of the law however pathetic the law may be.

It's not only the muppet's who trained you at fault for not making you aware of the legalities of Domestic work it's also down to the lack of promotion of Part P by the governing bodies that have led to this problem in my opinion.

I qualifed last year and have 2330, 17th edition, 2392, 2377 and almost finished nvq 3. I rewired a kitchen last month, adding new circuit for hob and cooker, lights etc. I tested and signed off the job. I spoke to another spark about the job yesterday and he said unless I was part p I couldnt sign the job off as a kitchen is a special location. He also said I would have to register the job and pay.

I have been doing mostly agency work and working for companies so I havent come across this problem before. I am now really confussed what I can and can not do, if I need the be with a scheme, part p or what. Can someone tell me the regs on all this please, also if there is anything else I dont know about regarding all this any info would be great.

Thanks.

I think when he mentions (regs) he means part p requirements not bs7671 (regs)! Also as long as he's enrolled to be part p registered he can do what he's doing and use the certs from bs 7671 as paperwork until his assessment.
And the last sentence we won't know what you don't know Adam will we unless you post what you don't know.
Also alot of banter goes on here so if you are going to use the forum for advice & fault finding tips etc get used to it mate your in our territory now. Best of luck with your new venture it's not easy

Also, the kitchen is not a special location, its just that work done in one requires notification.

TBH, nowadays, I thought part P would have been one of the first things that anyone, new or existing in the trade, would be aware of. Must just be me.

Also, the kitchen is not a special location, its just that work done in one requires notification.

TBH, nowadays, I thought part P would have been one of the first things that anyone, new or existing in the trade, would be aware of. Must just be me.

To be fair just reading past posts on here will indicate the lack of understanding and knowledge of the part p document . I think most people get there information at the wholesalers. It's not inconceivable that a person that has been in the forces for seven years is not up to speed on all that has changed in the electrical scene in that period, it takes people even on this forum with the wealth of information that is on here to keep up with it. Give the Lad a break ;at least he asked.

Remember there has been or is a review with Part P taking place so look out for a Part P relaunch with .

Also with regards to the OP you came from the forces so you should be aware of self discipline and they need for it on this forum it is not that people are having a pop at you look it as your sergeant training you he is not doing it for you to get shot he does it to keep you alive well its the same in this game so bite on it because if you are a bit touchy then dont join this forum

Reply to Part p, schemes, special locations, need help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock