Discuss Personal electrician tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

redjupiter58

Hi All,

This is a very NOOB question :). I am still in training (domestic), when fishing for jobs, I notice that most employers ask for "Must have own personal tools". My question is, what personal tools (certified) I should/need to build up. So far I have :

1. Fluke T100 Voltage/Continuity Tester
2. assorted screw drivers
3. socket tester
4. hammer,
5. plyers
6. leveler
7. wire stripper
8. drill bits (no drill yet, what kind more suitable)
9. goggles
10. measuring tape
11. calculator

Told you it is a noob question :)

I have some moeny left over and I would liek to use it to build my personal set. Any advice is appreciated. :)

Georges

Good trousers with knee pads, head torch, B & Q are selling a makita 18v drill with 2 batteries for £90 at the mo I got one and its pretty dam good for the money.

I would say own tools means hand tools rather than power tools however its always good to have your own.

The very best thing to do is telephone a local electrician, and explain to him who you are and ask him if he will spend half an hour with you and he may open his van doors to you. There re lots of thingsyou need to get, what courses are you doing ?

To be honest with you, looking at your list, the last time someone asked me for advice on what tools to get, we went through everytool bag I owned, I used it as an excuse to clean all the bags out. I gave him so much stuff he was more or less sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scutch hammer or chisel, preferably both. As a noob you will be doing all the chopping.
And as said already a nice 18v combi battery drill would be nice - if you can get a nice Bosch or Makita then great, but a good old black and decker will probably do you for about twenty minutes.......

And also as said -DECENT KNEEPADS if you start using them now you ill probably only have to have knee surgery three or four times

And a DECENT DUST MASK not one of the paper ones.

Well I think it depends of the sort of work you will be doing in the near future? Domestic, commercial and industrial all require different tools to when you are starting out.

icon1.gif
Re: Personal electrician tools

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by martysparky
NOT my hammer though!

Mikex79

you can fix everything with a hammer apart from a wire which you cut too short :)

Martysparky

my hammer meaning: Find a Tradesman or Handyman For Any Job - For Free!

1st Aid kit comprising 10 smokes, 1/4 bottle scotch, packet of 3 condoms, some bog roll and gaffer tape in case you get a cut finger.

Ok, I've had a drink or two and I'm venturing out on to probably a very lonely limb but here we go.... A mirror ! Yep the sort yer missus has in here handbag. No not to check me lippy before a first visit to a customer. I use one to look under floor boards or tight spaces I can't get me head in. If you've got to look under the floor you only have to lift one board, then deploy the mirror and torch and away you go.

Yeah while we're at it you'll need:
Greeting mat
Protective shoecovers
Tool mat
Diagnostic bag (you could probably just keep your lunch in that).

Reply to Personal electrician tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net