Discuss PIR of Full elec cert in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leokiss

Looked at a job earlier,part of a house has become a 1 bed bedsit already has a C/U just upgrading to split rcd board (it has all new fixtures n fittings not fitted by me). Not lived in yet the client wants a test cert,no existing info,wiring is red&black + earth.
Was gunna give a PIR but doubting it so thought i'd ask u guys.
Oh and what would you charge?,8 circuits the flat ones plus heating and ouside lights n censors (2 different circuits on 2 32A mcbs??).

But he has asked me to test all the circuits on that board.
If i was to issue an EIC just for C/U what would i test just mains? Or all i should probs point out its highly likely i will end up through crimping some wires,will this mean i now have to test the whole circuit surely i dont have to start messing with minor works too.

im gettin 350 for the job includes materials. So what exactly do i test? Sorry it sound a bit dumb but i aint sure what 2 test. As i see it he asked for flat testin so im gunna test it,why turn the work down. I just not sure which cert 2 give?

You need to test ALL the circuits you have worked on, it doesnt matter whether or not you have extended, shortened, or just reconnected into the CU. You then issue an EIC for the work. In the box on the cert where it says "EXTENT OF WORK COVERED BY THIS CERTIFICATE" or similar, you put in Consumer unit only.

Cheers........Hward

Hi

I agree fully with last post EIC for consumer unit change and you need to test all circuits, the notes with certificates normally have notes on how to complete them, or check REG book it again gives you details of what you need to do all EIC i have issued have a page for test results to be entered

Danny

Cheers all for input,and for clearing it up,got myself a bit confused.Although ive been testing for a long time its been for large companys on new installs never issued my own certs before. And did testing 7 years ago so forgot about cert side of testing.
Been out and got guidence note 3 today so i can get up to scratch:)

along with partp membership i presume ?

dont wish to appear rude but if you dont know which certificate would need to be issued for cu change then thats an indication of not being registered which means work is illegal.

Id double check on the sub-ing out bit and still being compliant. Unless you are an employee then you are not covered as far as Im aware. Just be careful because if something does go wrong you are at the end of the finger pointing line :)

I understand your concerns but i have been a sub-contractor for a long time and i have tested new installs on schools,hospitals,apartments etc all for large companys like NG Baileysl, SES ,Emcor,G&H to name but a few. Does this mean all the work done for them wasn't legal? I understood that if the company you working is a member you are then under there wing as such and covered.The only thing im not sure bout is domestic certs and what to give what to do in situations that dont arise in new installs.
But you gotta start somewhere and been on this site only helps.
If i wasn't legal there are tens of thousands of sub-contractors out there working illegal! Maybe much more.

That is correct,you dont even need to have 2391 to test if you in niceic as long as QS signs it off.
Got me thinking though about how it works with employment status though.
How it has worked for a long time now is a large Elec&Mech company get job then they break it up and sub it out to smaller firms who are all with Niceic or similar then all the sub-contractors who work for them on an hourly rate or price like myself do all the work and its the same for all trades weather it be dry liners, plumbers, or sparks.
The whole industry is like yhis now. Ive been on jobs where the elec contract is split between 4 elec companys.4 different areas but all on same job and on top of that you'll have BMS, F/A,Data and security contractors with most if not all subbing themselves to that smaller contractor.
Got me wondering now though what would happen if something went ---- up would it come back to me or that contractor,actually ive just answered my own question it would go back to company as their QS has signed it off.

you dont need 2391 to sign off with any scheme.

however to your question -

a full electrical installtion certificate to be completed as major work has been carried out (nwe c/u is classed as major)

a PIR would only be completed when a inspection only is carried out (this also involves a full test but nothing has been altered, just checked)

And a minor works - well for any minor work carried out (no new circuits or altering of protective devices etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ye cheers im getting there,didn't mean to sound like a cowboy just a little inexperienced domestic. I only want to do the job right which is why im interested in as many opitions/facts i can read.

Took some of the advice on here and went back up to job and asked if he would accept PIR but he dosent as the guy im working for never told him of this (he's in oz by the way the reason im asking you guys all the questions and not him) So spent a hour or so doing a bit of an inspection and found the gas meter which is outside has no main bond.
Which according to best guide is a no starter unless he agrees to have it done.It would mean running surface through his newly decorated bedsit which he dosent want.
So whats the ways out here,could i if possible bond where it comes into the house? Which im hoping i will eventually find with it going underground its difficult to determine, will have to trace back from a gas appliance.
Or the more expensive option of an earth spike at the side of meter outside.
Is that allowed been searching through regs n this site but still not found a definate answer?
All input welcome

Reply to PIR of Full elec cert in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net