Discuss Porch light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dempsey1965

Hi,
Firstly I hope I am in the right place to post this topic, if not apologies as I am a bit new tall this. Ok, can you help please?
I have just had a new porch built and want to put 2 new lights up inside to replace the old single light that is there. I wired this light myself some years ago with a junction box with switched live/neutral going to the bulb holder in the porch. The problem I have now is that the junction box is buried under a bedroom floor covered in furniture. What I would like to know is, is it possible to wire 2/3 new lights using the original neutral/switched cable coming from the junction box and if so, how? Or do I have to go back to the junction box. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

as I feel this is a DIY question, the best advice I could give you would be to get a competent electrician in to carry out the work as it will then be done safely and in the correct way.

From what you are saying it sounds like the light circuit is extended into the porch, so the best route would be to go back to the junction box, which on a side note is if it is in an inaccessible location it should be done using non maintainable joints as screw terminals require maintenance and so on.

The bottom line is get a local electrician to take a look and check it out properly, it's probably a relatively cheap job.

Hi Sparks,
Thank you for your reply and advice. The junction box an porch light hasn't been extended and is on the circuit if this helps. One feed in/out one cable to switch and one cable to the light.

The existing cable for the light could be extended from that position to feed the additional lights as external cabling but the visual effect may not be good and external lights are generally not designed to accept external cabling or two cable. So this may well prove difficult.
Access to the cabling and modifications should have been made during the construction of the porch as this could then have been done very effectively. As the new porch is now built this makes things more complex.
Ideally the junction box should have been positioned to be accessible in the first instance, even though access is difficult it may the best solution to provide an acceptable wiring system for the new lights as it would be much easier and neater.

The existing cable for the light could be extended from that position to feed the additional lights as external cabling but the visual effect may not be good and external lights are generally not designed to accept external cabling or two cable. So this may well prove difficult.
Access to the cabling and modifications should have been made during the construction of the porch as this could then have been done very effectively. As the new porch is now built this makes things more complex.
The junction box should not have been concealed in the first instance, even though access is difficult it may the best solution to provide an acceptable wiring system for the new lights as it would be much easier and neater.

edited that for you.

That is what I said, but I said it in a more positive manner.:wink_smile:

Hum..... thing is that we sparks are the only people that know the regs and as such we need to make sure that we use every opportunity to "spread the word". Bob the builder is still using standard junction boxes and concealing them in extensions - which is not OK and when there is a fault and they need to be found........

but when the junction box was fitted, it complied with the regs. at the time, and, as we all know , regs. are not retrospective; although i always tried to avoid underfloor junction boxes even back int the '80s.

Hello Richard,
Than you or your help. Yes with hindsight I would of put the junction box somewhere more accessible but where else can you put them except under the floor. Sorry forgot to mention that the porch isn't finished yet, it is still completely open regarding joists etc and is completely accessible so all wiring will be hidden. The original light is just dangling from the brickwork ready to be hidden too.

personally, I'd just connect the new lights into the cable that was into the old light, using a click connector, or wagos in a wagobox. then conceal the box.

Ok, sounds positive. How about fitting a junction box where the old light fitting is, then taking the 2 wires to the the 2 new fittings. What would be the max wattage or light fittings I could fit?

Ok, sounds positive. How about fitting a junction box where the old light fitting is, then taking the 2 wires to the the 2 new fittings. What would be the max wattage or light fittings I could fit?
if the junction box is going to be inaccessible, then you need to use these in a wagobox.

Enter the ?No Twist Zone? and simplify your next wiring project with the original PUSHWIRE® connector from WAGO, Series 773 WALL-NUTS®. | PUSH WIRE® Connectors for Junction Boxes (273, 773 Series) | WAGO

I meant a new junction box where the old light fitting is, instead of this wagobox so more than one light can be attached.

yes you can do that, but if the new JB is going to be concealed, then wagos are maintenance free, as opposed to screw terminals. if it's going to be accessible, you can use 1 of these :

ae235

Last edited:

Reply to Porch light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net