Discuss Pulling the main fuse? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi
following on from another thread

is it Illegal to pull the DNO fuse, i always do, after all i am an electrician.

ta

I don't know that it's 'illegal' as such.

The way the DNO look at it is that it's their property and you aren't allowed to tamper with it...........I suppose that could be seen as illegal - bit of 'trespassing' so to speak.

One way a lot of people are starting to look at it though, is this:

It might be their property and they might not like it, but the EAWR overides their likes/dislikes, and if you have to pull the fuse in order to isolate and work safely, (and are competent to do so), then there's not a lot they can say, really.

At the end of the day, it's your shout - can you afford to wait for them to come out? or do you risk assess and proceed as necessary.

You will always find the forum divided on this one, though, so be prepared.

I rather think the question is "is it illegal to break the seal on the main fuse"

and the answer is who knows!!

I too find lots of houses without seals on the main fuse!

Thinkng about it a bit more, that's a good question........is it actually illegal.....and if so, what laws does it come under and where is it in B&W?? Anyone???

In other words, is it a criminal offence? Could the police be involved?
What would they charge you with?

I'm not taking the mick, I'm serious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinkng about it a bit more, that's a good question........is it actually illegal.....and if so, what laws does it come under and where is it in B&W?? Anyone???

In other words, is it a criminal offence? Could the police be involved?
What would they charge you with?

I'm not taking the mick, I'm serious!

Criminal Damage if the DNO wanted to.
Damage to their property.

And then you say they were preventing you from safely isolating the supply by 'sealing' the fuse holder.........I don't know?

Maybe that's why you don't hear of too many sparks being prosecuted for doing it.

Obviously, if things went 'pearshaped', you'd be in trouble!

i get the m-i-l to stare at it for a minute, the seal just melts away

Reply to Pulling the main fuse? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net