Discuss RCBO not restting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Trev..tell me bud, how do you get a Zs value from a dead circuit exactly? Read my posts before commenting
The job is not a freebie the boss pays for it.
I have calibrated testers.

Telectrix..spot on for getting it

Zs from a dead circuit is easy, you just use the alternative Zs testing method.

With the breaker open connect L to E at the far end of the circuit, test between the live and dead side of the breaker.

Simples!

As to how this could help you identify the fault, I am not entirely sure at the moment.

As far as your original post and the fault goes I would suggest that you did ask a bit of a daft question, you said the fault moved to with the circuit when you connected it to another RCBO so logically the fault must be on the circuit and not within the RCBO.
To properly test the RCBO you test it the same way you would a seperate RCD unit using the RCD test function of an MFT or a seperate RCD tester.

For general fault finding I would strongly recommend an analogue insulation resistance tester, it is much easier to work with a needle than a digital display. It doesn't have to be expensive or even calibrated if all you are looking for is the yes/no/maybe rather than measured values.

(And just in case anyone is wondering, yes I have been reunited with my happy pills this evening)

Last edited by a moderator:
apprentice grumpy, geordie. he's an apprentice grumpy. :ack2:

Sorry Parkside you are reported for abuse... if you feel others have done the same to yourself then use the report symbol at the bottom L/H of the post in question (the triangle)...

Reacting with agressive and immature language is not on regardless whether suggestive or not!... this is in the public domain and free to view by anyone on the internet, so please respect anyone may read your replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good point brought by Davesparks.... if we have 230v RMS then peak voltage is around 320v so exactly what would an insulation test that isn't in excess of this proof because it may not show any issues or failed readings where a 500v would unless its very poor value.

Always use 500V for circuits operating at 240V AC, there's no point testing insulation resistance at a voltage less than the peak voltage of the supply.

On a new install / additions then definitely 500V. Not faulting on an existing installation unless you are absolutely 100% that all loads are disconnected and after 250V has shown clear. Like I said very rare I would use 500v outside new installation. To be honest, in this scenario 500V will provide no benefit over 250V and only the risk of damaging equipment which will give the OP another problem to deal with.

Very good point brought by Davesparks.... if we have 230v RMS then peak voltage is around 320v so exactly what would an insulation test that isn't in excess of this proof because it may not show any issues or failed readings where a 500v would unless its very poor value.
You have answered your own question there, the fault is present at 230v and is operating the RCBO, therefore higher than that is not required to trace the fault. I appreciate what 500VDC testing provides, but in the case of locating a fault that is tripping a 30ma RCD, 250VDC is adequate and with no risk.

Last edited:
...Right! i have finally got it...the 0.42 is the duration our poor OP lasted,from original post,1.00 being a full day of 24 hours,corrected for temperature...:icon12:

...Right! i have finally got it...the 0.42 is the duration our poor OP lasted,from original post,1.00 being a full day of 24 hours,corrected for temperature...:icon12:
Sigh.
Peg, he's already said what the measurement was all about mate. It was a completely pointless exercise as far as fault finding is concerned but never mind.
Actually, thinking about it maybe you've got more of a point.

Reply to RCBO not restting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net