Discuss Rcbo test buttons not working - but works ok when tested in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think I have an answer
Rcbo test buttons not working - but works ok when tested upload_2018-10-24_21-7-42 - EletriciansForums.net
the test button leaks from phase 1 to phase 2.

Try ramp testing between those two phases rather than to earth and see what happens (assuming your RCD tester is good for 400V)

I bet there is either an imbalanced load (in favour of phase 2 or 3), or there is an imbalance in favour of 1 and a N-E fault. This is assuming the RCD tester leaks to earth from phase 2 or 3.

Yes there are 2 tp mcb's on the other side .. it's a 4 way tpn db.
The rcbos in question are single phase .. just incase anyone was thinking otherwise .
Yes rcbo's with cream fly leads .
Good shout though leesparkykent could well just switch all other circuit's off and check the rcbo's 1 at a time..
Ill report back when I know more.
Seems though from the replys that no one has had a non working test button on a working rcbo..
Bit novelty. ..must get out more!
Ta all
Vito

That is what you should do next ..... and use your earth leakage clamp meter too

Non fuctioning test buttons can be a sign of N - E faults
To do what? I've asked in the past about these, and yourself included couldn't give me a reason (let alone a good one) to purchase one.

To do what? I've asked in the past about these, and yourself included couldn't give me a reason (let alone a good one) to purchase one.

I have identified rcd trips using my clump meter on more than one occasion .... and I often use it before I change a cu ....

They aren’t that expensive ..... why not buy one ?

I have identified rcd trips using my clump meter on more than one occasion .... and I often use it before I change a cu ....

They aren’t that expensive ..... why not buy one ?
Why do I need one? I do approx 150-200 call outs for faults a year as a sole trader and yet to not find to fault/issue. All without the use of one. I asked in a different thread why I'd need one, and iirc no one came up with a reason as to why I'd need one.

If it's only a single phase, the only electrical difference common across all rcbos is the ramp test used L-E and the RCD button uses L-N.
Have you checked the polarity both before and after the RCBO?
Andy, would that be because some of the created test current flows back through the neutral side of the sense transformer and then down the CPC resulting in less than the expected test current appearing on the sense winding?
Rcbo test buttons not working - but works ok when tested upload_2018-10-24_22-37-14 - EletriciansForums.net
  • An N-E fault downstream of the RCBO would pass some of the test current through the sense coil again in the same direction, making it more sensitive to the test button. That would also mean some of the RCD tester current would flow back through the neutral and cancel some of the unbalanced live, making it less sensitive to the RCD tester.
  • An L-E fault downstream of the RCBO would increase the sensitivity of both the test button and the rcd tester.
  • If the polarity was reversed upstream, the test button would still work the same.
  • If the polarity was reversed AND there was a N-E fault downstream (L terminal would be N) some of the current coming from the actual L would go to earth rather than the sense coil, reducing the sensitivity of the test button. The RCD tester would work as normal (assuming the polarity was reversed back again before connecting the RCD tester)

Thanks for the link:
If there is a neutral earth fault in a circuit then when the RCD test button is pressed the current that should flow from the test button, to out going neutral,
As you can see he is talking about the outgoing neutral itself, in a case where the polarity is reversed. post 12 explains the same thing now clearly
If the test button circuit goes from supply L to load N, a downstream N-E fault can stop it working by reducing the test current returning to the supply N through the sensing transformer. But if the test was from load L to supply N, the fraction of test current going to earth at the fault would pass through the transformer twice in the same direction, possibly making it test OK even if it had reduced sensitivity. This makes me think that all RCDs have the test circuit the first way round, but I can't say I've spent enough time looking at the schematic on the side to notice.
This is confirmed by the original post
with 2 30mA rcd, left side wont trip when test button is pushed but the right side seems fine

Last edited:
Hi all
Odd one today .. all 6 Hager rcbo's in a tn+n db have the test buttons not working..
But when tested with a multifunctiontester they react fine..
Now..I guess I'm going to have to fail them..even though they work fine.
Hager technical say they have never heard of this.
Db is in a plant room with a raised ambient temperature but not hugely ..say 36c .. rcbos are 2 x 6A B 30ma 2 x 20A C 30ma and 2 x 32A B 30ma .. fitted in 2014 by the looks of it.
All connections are good..fly leads good..circuit's are just for sockets and lighting..standard stuff.
Anyone had this before..
Any ideas

Ta
Vito
Sorry, just seen this thread.
I had exactly the same situation recently. I found you needed to push the test button to one side or wiggle it (just a little bit) for the button to work. Mine also tested out fine.

I have had a batch of RCDs (not RCBOs and not Hager) with failed test buttons although the RCD operation was fine. Every one of about 40 identical units was affected, after use in cabinets outdoors for a couple of years.

Agree the best test is to disconnect L & N load. If they then start working normally, N-E fault likely.

Had this several years ago doing periodic tests in Comet stores.
Had 30 ish SqD rcbos giving trip times on the meter but not disconnecting the supply. There was a very quiet recall in progress for sticking mechanisms ,Schneider provided free replacements and paid for labour.

I've just come across 4 hager rcbo in an old peoples' home. the test button doesn't work, but they trip fine on the tester. they look clean, but it's blummin hot in there and has been non stop since they were fitted (10+ years) plus they are close to the ceiling.

Reply to Rcbo test buttons not working - but works ok when tested in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock