Discuss RCD plug adapter with existing RCD consumer unit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gruttyman

I have an annoying intermittent issue with either an iron or hoover causing my consumer unit 30A breaker to trip.

As it is just these appliances which trip the CU, is it safe, and is there any point in trying a standalone RCD plug adapter just for my iron/hoover, or is it likely that there is a wider underlying issue?

For years we have had incandescent bulb failures causing the light circuit to trip but only recently has the 30A circuit started to do the same thing.

CU was fitted over 20 years ago and has 4 separate 30A breakers, one for upstairs, one for downstairs, one for kitchen and one for office, but it is not these that trip, but the main breaker (light circuit remains live).

Thanks for any advice.

To be honest if there's a tripping circuit breaker then it's picking up a problem with either the appliances or the circuits they're plugged into. Trying to work around the tripping without finding the underlying problem isn't the way to go, it's going to work out more expensive in the long run plus you're not fixing the cause so the problem is likely to get worse over time.

Without test equipment and the ability to use it you're not going to be able to do this yourself, you should get an established electrician to give you a quote.

I need to re read the post

When you say the main breaker
Do you mean an rcd that protects the 4 x 30 amp circuits or
a single 30 amp mcb for a particular socket circuit

Your description of what is tripping is not clear

I suspect you have a split load consumer unit where an rcd protects the sockets etc and lights etc are on the non rcd side and it is this rcd that is tripping, please explain

Last edited:
I have an annoying intermittent issue with either an iron or hoover causing my consumer unit 30A breaker to trip.

As it is just these appliances which trip the CU, is it safe, and is there any point in trying a standalone RCD plug adapter just for my iron/hoover, or is it likely that there is a wider underlying issue?

For years we have had incandescent bulb failures causing the light circuit to trip but only recently has the 30A circuit started to do the same thing.

CU was fitted over 20 years ago and has 4 separate 30A breakers, one for upstairs, one for downstairs, one for kitchen and one for office, but it is not these that trip, but the main breaker (light circuit remains live).

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like you have a 16th edition split cu with socket circuits protected by a bs61008 30mA RCD that you are referring to as the main breaker. What are the markings on this main breaker?

If it is an RCD protecting the 4 x 30A circuits then it is more than likely operating correctly and you have a dodgy appliance. To test an rcd it requires proper test equipment to check for tripping times and operational tripping currents.

Sounds like the system has a bad amount of earth leakage caused by one or more items of equipment or poor wiring, and using the iron or hoover are simply taking this leakage over the 20-30mA which will cause your main breaker to trip.
Time to get an electrician in, who will have all the test gear to test the whole system. There could well come a time when it will trip and not reset...not fun on a cold, dark winters night...

Reply to RCD plug adapter with existing RCD consumer unit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net