Discuss recommendation for time controller to operate a contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello hello,

Wondering if anyone can recommend a timer to control a small contactor please.

This is an existing job where the existing timer keeps playing up, I've replaced it once before. The 3 phase contactor it controls is switching some heaters in a hall.

The existing timer is a Timeguard NTT03 and keeps coming on at random times that are not programmed. I've been through the programming to check and that side of it is fine.

Any ideas? Ideally I need a surface mount timer.

Thank you.

Thanks TJ.

I was thinking about that. Just a bit paranoid as there have been 2 failed timers here already. I suppose heating programmers are suitable for small inductive loads, being as they usually control motorised valves etc.

You'll find more often than not its not the Timer at issue but the users or its program... does it have an override or boost option, are all the users honest about using or abusing the heating and just blaming it on a faulty unit, over the yrs I have found some right tales to blame a unit I knew was working correctly, on one ocasion it all stopped when the existing controller was fitted in a locked cabinet and the key given to the landlord - you'll be amazed how magic happens when 1 student gets cold and their flat mates don't.

Thanks TJ.

I was thinking about that. Just a bit paranoid as there have been 2 failed timers here already. I suppose heating programmers are suitable for small inductive loads, being as they usually control motorised valves etc.
Your timers are only switching a contactor so no real load been switched by the timer, I have yet to find a correctly programmed timer add additional times through a fault, usually it a failure to switch on or off - not additional timings.
I recommend you fit a timer without boost or permanant on options and/or can be locked out from been altered or over-ridden.

Your timers are only switching a contactor so no real load been switched by the timer, I have yet to find a correctly programmed timer add additional times through a fault, usually it a failure to switch on or off - not additional timings.
I recommend you fit a timer without boost or permanant on options and/or can be locked out from been altered or over-ridden.

Yes, that is a good idea. Might do that.

Had several debates with the chap who manages the building about others fiddling with the timer etc.

Anyway, thanks for your help. off for a run now. :)

Reply to recommendation for time controller to operate a contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net